1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

American Pipit

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Baxter, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Baxter

Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    I've been trying to get a good shot of one of these all winter. It's difficult because they stay on the ground and are fairly shy of any movement. This is the closest I've come to decent shots, but I blew the whites despite the low light (still learning the new/used D300, I guess). This is a bird that many people see without realizing what it is because it's non-descript.

1. That's a puddle in the background on these first three shots.
    1208143528_UdthG-L.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1208142939_uRZsU-L.jpg

1208145651_NRHxG-L.jpg

1208148172_SV3tQ-L.jpg

Thanks for looking.

2. Great shots Baxter, of a bird I have not seen. Thanks for sharing.

Ron

3. Baxter

Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    Thanks Ron. Pipits flock in open fields and forage on the ground. It's easy to pass whole flocks of them without realizing what they are. They move away when you get close, and since they tend to be in wide open places it's hard to sneak up on them. I've army crawled to get near them, etc. with limited success. I drove through a field to get these and was able to use the vehicle as a blind.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.