American Woodcock

Discussion in 'Birds' started by R Bond, Apr 16, 2007.

1. My wife Teri found these while out mushroom hunting today. These birds sat still while she called me to bring the camera. It took me about 10 minutes to get to them. The longest lens that I have is a 105mm Sigma Macro, that is what these were shot with. I think these shots illustrate how well these birds are camouflaged. BTW, no mushrooms.

View attachment 91063

View attachment 91064

2. The first lloks like a young one. These are fabulous birds! sit tight (as you know) and well concealed. I use to train my bird dogs on these for those very reasons.
    Dave

3. Baxter

Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    Great job capturing those. Not something you see every day - for obvious reasons. It's a treat seeing them - thanks for posting.

4. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks for showing these.
    My wife and I used to go out just before dusk and watch the males doing their mating "dance", and we've spotted hatchlings, but I've never gotten a photograph. [With this year's weather, it seems a little early for morels.]

5. Thanks Bob and Hunter. A few morels are being found, hopefully there will more later in the week. We are looking forward to fried mushrooms and fish.

Hello Dave. My lead in was a little brief I guess. The fledgeling was about 2 feet away from the mom. The mother was setting so tight that I was worried she was hurt, she really trusts her camo.

6. Wow thanks for sharing. I'd have missed these for sure.

7. Thanks for looking John. The do blend in. It makes me wonder how many I've walked past over the years.

8. Fantastic! I only get to see'em when I flush'em, and I haven't got the reflexes to catch it!! (Does anyone? Ha!)

9. WOW, what beauties they are! So glad you were able to capture them - that's a birdie I don't think I've seen before!

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thats neat. Good pics and great find
    Very similar to the Snipe

11. Hey Thomas

Thanks for looking. This one must have just sat still because of the young'un in tow.

12. Thanks Dianne

My wife has a good eye. That eye also helps her find Morels.

13. Thanks Gale

Sure could have used the 80-400. Now I'm gonna have to look up Snipe.
    BTW, the Woodcock is related to the Sandpiper, ah hem, we learned that while trying to identify the thing.

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Here ya are RB
    A Snipe:>)))

15. Well, I be, they are a lot alike,,,,and according to Wikipedia are related. Very nice shot.

Thanks Gale