American Woodcock

My wife Teri found these while out mushroom hunting today. These birds sat still while she called me to bring the camera. It took me about 10 minutes to get to them. The longest lens that I have is a 105mm Sigma Macro, that is what these were shot with. I think these shots illustrate how well these birds are camouflaged. BTW, no mushrooms.

77292126.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 91063

View attachment 91064

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
The first lloks like a young one. These are fabulous birds! sit tight (as you know) and well concealed. I use to train my bird dogs on these for those very reasons.
Dave

Great job capturing those. Not something you see every day - for obvious reasons. It's a treat seeing them - thanks for posting.

Thanks for showing these.
My wife and I used to go out just before dusk and watch the males doing their mating "dance", and we've spotted hatchlings, but I've never gotten a photograph. [With this year's weather, it seems a little early for morels.]

Thanks Bob and Hunter. A few morels are being found, hopefully there will more later in the week. We are looking forward to fried mushrooms and fish.

Hello Dave. My lead in was a little brief I guess. The fledgeling was about 2 feet away from the mom. The mother was setting so tight that I was worried she was hurt, she really trusts her camo.

Here ya are RB
A Snipe:>)))
73404550.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom