Among mist and pikes

It's attractive and dangerous. I was playing with DOF and focus distance trying to create the misty background effect.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for viewing.

Cheers.

Cool shot Dao. I'm also interested in how you got this one.

How are your eyes BTW? OK I hope.

Frank

Flew said:
Cool shot Dao. I'm also interested in how you got this one.

How are your eyes BTW? OK I hope.

Frank
Thanks for asking, Frank. My right eye is doing great. I'm looking forward fot the other eye's surgery which will be next week.

Hi Frank and Dave,

this shot was taken in the Desert plants section of Montreal Botanical Garden greenhouses. This cactus is a plant about 3,5 inches of diameter in a pot. Its color is a bit dark green but its unique flower is vivid orange as you can see (no coloring). When I look in the viewfinder, I saw the misty effect of the blurred pikes in the background. So I decided to play with the DOF to capture this effect while keeping the flower sharp. I took several shots varying the aperture and the focus distance. This picture was taken witn a Tamron 90mm macro, 1/60s, f/16 at about a feet and a half from the flower, focusing on the rear petals. I used a SB800, -0,7EV with a Lumiquest pocket diffuser over the head. In PS, the only thing I have done is darkening the flower surroundings a little bit to make it standing out more, besides cropping.

greyflash said:
Love this one Dao, excellent image. I have been wondering where you are. The colors are fantastic on this shot.
Hi Gordon, I has lot of work at the office lately, so not enough time to get out shooting as I would love to. Cheers. :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom