Among mist and pikes

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by daodang, Apr 7, 2005.

1. It's attractive and dangerous. I was playing with DOF and focus distance trying to create the misty background effect.

original.

Thanks for viewing.

Cheers.

2. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    Very cool shot. Was that selective coloring you did, or is this they way it looks in the wild.

Dave

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Cool shot Dao. I'm also interested in how you got this one.

How are your eyes BTW? OK I hope.

Frank

4. Thanks for asking, Frank. My right eye is doing great. I'm looking forward fot the other eye's surgery which will be next week.

5. The background really enhances the glorious orange flower you've captured here!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

6. Hi Frank and Dave,

this shot was taken in the Desert plants section of Montreal Botanical Garden greenhouses. This cactus is a plant about 3,5 inches of diameter in a pot. Its color is a bit dark green but its unique flower is vivid orange as you can see (no coloring). When I look in the viewfinder, I saw the misty effect of the blurred pikes in the background. So I decided to play with the DOF to capture this effect while keeping the flower sharp. I took several shots varying the aperture and the focus distance. This picture was taken witn a Tamron 90mm macro, 1/60s, f/16 at about a feet and a half from the flower, focusing on the rear petals. I used a SB800, -0,7EV with a Lumiquest pocket diffuser over the head. In PS, the only thing I have done is darkening the flower surroundings a little bit to make it standing out more, besides cropping.

7. Love this one Dao, excellent image. I have been wondering where you are. The colors are fantastic on this shot.

8. OH WOW, Dao!! Nice capture!! :) :) :) :)

9. Hi Gordon, I has lot of work at the office lately, so not enough time to get out shooting as I would love to. Cheers. :)

10. All I can say is, you did perfectly well.