Amount of activity on the forums - Canon POTN vs. Nikon Café: Why so different?

Why is there so much more activity on the Canon POTN site than the Nikon Café?

Bloomberg reported that, in 2010, Canon controlled 19% of the digital camera market and Nikon 12.6%. But the disparity in the number of posts and views on the Canon POTN site vs. the Nikon Café is far greater than the difference in market share would suggest. For example, on the Canon POTN site, the thread pertaining to the popular Sigma 35mm f/1.4 had 3211 posts as of this morning when I checked and 464,277 replies. In contrast, that same thread on the Nikon Café had only 491 posts and only 31,425 replies. Similar differences exist on all of the threads I’ve compared on the two sites.

I’m not an agent provocateur sent here by Canon to stir up trouble. I just find this interesting. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I can think of a number of reasons:

1. Canon folks are more boisterous, like to complain/chat/post more
2. There are more Nikon forums around, so the Nikon posts get spread across more sites
3. Your sample size of threads and thread subjects could be misleading. Perhaps you only picked those that are of more interest to folks who use Canon

Those are 3 for starters, let us see if anyone else can come up with some more.

Then again, there is that possibility that despite your claim that you are not, perhaps you really ARE a Mole, Mata-Canon :wink:

Uh, maybe Nikon shooters are just outside, enjoying their cameras and taking more photos?
Michael

Apples to oranges.

How many users per forum? How much choice of other forums?

You're probably better off looking at photocamel or dpreview to compare activity of one brand user vs another

Maybe it's a case of 'How many Canon users does it take to ask a question ............' :wink:

Canon people spend more time talking - Nikon people spend more time shooting. That would explain it.

Nikon Cafe does not allow Google search bots so when someone googles "Nikon" this
forum doesn't show up...

That's a "Good" thing 'cause it keeps the spammers and riff-raft out... This is a community,
not a free-for-all-cluster-fart... :wink:

If I Google 'Nikon forum' which is exactly what I would do if I was looking for one, this one is at the top of the list above several others, some of which I have heard of some of which I haven't.

If I Google 'Nikon forum' which is exactly what I would do if I was looking for one, this one is at the top of the list above several others, some of which I have heard of some of which I haven't.

But if you google a question about some Nikon problem you will not get links to individual
threads in the Cafe pertaining to that question... You will get DPR, PTON, Nikon Rumors,
FM Forums, etc... No Nikon Cafe threads... Nikon Cafe doesn't allow Google bots to crawl
the forum so there will be no google links to individual threads/posts...

But if you google a question about some Nikon problem you will not get links to individual
threads in the Cafe pertaining to that question... You will get DPR, PTON, Nikon Rumors,
FM Forums, etc... No Nikon Cafe threads... Nikon Cafe doesn't allow Google bots to crawl
the forum so there will be no google links to individual threads/posts...

Ah ok, I see what you mean :smile:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
As of 10:53 a.m. CST, Canon POTN had 378,368 members. The Nikon Cafe has 13,269 members. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom