1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Amsterdam - Windmill on the Cycle Path (HDR)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by NikonConvert, Apr 19, 2007.

1. NikonConvert

NikonConvert

Jul 13, 2005
    Amsterdam
    Hi Guys & Galls =),

I recently bought a bag for my tripod so I could carry it with me on my bike, here is one of the first results of this new ability. This is a merge of 9 exposures to HDR, taken on my D2H. I have recently gone back to using the D2H over the D200. There are several reasons for this, the main at the moment being that processing HDRs from 4mp is much quicker than 10mp =).

The 9 RAW files were combines to a 32bit HDR file in Photoshop and then openned in Photomatix. After playing with some tonemapping settings I saved a 16bit Tiff and openned back in Photoshop for some finishing touches. This was my first propper attempt at tonemapping.

463311874_bc9236f676_b.

This next image was taken slightly earlier, just before the clouds moved out of the sun. This has much more Post Tonemapping processing done in Photoshop.

463311550_0a12b16c88_b.

I would appreciate any feedback you might have =),

2. Gorgeous image of a beautiful spot Edd, very nice!

Groet,

3. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    BOth are very nice.

I prefer the first one though, I think it has a more intresting composition.

4. Love the first one! I love how the Netherlands has those bike paths everywhere. I've only been there once but I can't wait to go again - it's a very photogenic landscape / cityscape!

5. Sharon

Sharon

Feb 18, 2006
    Both are stunning! Such a beautiful location and a fantastic job of processing the images.

6. Sanyika

Sanyika

Apr 19, 2007
    Hungary
    Hm

The first one is simply flawless to me. Verrrry nicely done.
    Congrats.!
    I was in Amsterdam 2 years ago, loved that place of earth :cool: 

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Turned out great
    I am sure only a large print could possibly show the beauty you have created

8. NikonConvert

NikonConvert

Jul 13, 2005
    Amsterdam
    Thank you all very much for the great feedback! =) I am keeping an eye out for some nice cloud formations and alternate pretty locations so I can try out some more dynamic HDRs but at the moment it's clear, which I would usually be happy about. I guess I have the HDR bug =/.

Biggs: I totally agree about the composition being better on the first one. I mostly like the 2nd one for the detail in the clouds and sun. I will try to get the best of both worlds next time =)

Vern: Thanks, I have only just started to cycle around here, it really is amazing how you can go around without worrying about cars and trucks =)

Sharon, Sanyika: I did try to keep the lighting faithful to how it was at the time when I was processing the HDR so it's very gratifying to hear you both think I've achieved that natural look =)

Gale: Thank you, I processed the 2nd image to look more like film so that one might not enlarge quite so well with that level of grain. Also I forgot to remove the Chromic Aberration from the RAW files first so they both suffer a little. If I do print them I need to fix that first.

When I processed the HDR for the 1st image the sign came out pink instead of blue. Does anyone know why this happened? I am curious, I know that if you have different information in some of the exposures the program gets confused and creates random colours in those areas but this was not the case here. The images were all aligned pretty well and the sign did not move during the exposures... weird =s

9. These images are just super, great job in taking these and processing them as well. I will say that I don't like the sign in the first image and were it mine I would crop it out

10. The pictures dont seem to want to show for me :( 

11. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

There's a VERY nice pic in #1 if you crop it severly to only show the left side.

12. NikonConvert

NikonConvert

Jul 13, 2005
    Amsterdam
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.