Amvona/Dynatran tripod not as advertised. [updated]

Discussion in 'Tripods, Ball Heads, and Gimbals' started by DeoreDX, Jul 31, 2007.

1. DeoreDX

DeoreDX

Jan 16, 2007
    Alabamastan
    I was disappointed in the Tripod I received yesterday from an E-bay auction I won for $31 + $21 shipping. Normally I wouldn't expect much from a $52 Tripod but I do expect the item I receive to match the pictures detailed in the auction. Heck, the tripod doesn't even match the pictures on the side of the box! You can see the foot design of the tripod I received is clearly not as advertised. I've never heard anything good said of their customer support so I'm not holding my breath waiting for a replacement. Other then the tripod not being as advertised I do like the tripod. That's a lot of Tripod for $52. Will hold up my D50 and 80-200 2.8D and SB600 without a problem.

http://www.amvona.com/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=1838

large.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2007
  2. I bought a CF monopod and camera bag from Amvona via ebay, and was lucky -- the monopod is very nice, with an adequate if not great ball head (again, for ~$70, shipping included, I didn't expect the world). The bag is more than adequate for what I paid ($0.01 plus shipping! :biggrin:). But I have seen lots of negative comments about these folks, often involving customer support. Part of the key, from what I have gleaned from comments on other web sites, is DO NOT give them negative feedback. If you do, you get banned forever from their website/auctions (I wonder how they do that?), and at that point, I'm sure their interest in providing customer service drops below zero.

Keep them on the hook, tell them how happy you are in general -- until they come through. Then leave whatever feedback you think is appropriate.

3. I have this tripod and love it. It is very sturdy. I don't care for the pistol grip ball head though, it has a tendency to sag a bit.

The feet it shows on the box should have been included. I have mine but have never installed them because the rubber feet are tough to get off.

Good support but needs a better head.

4. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

often these discount places get merchandise from China and elsewhere from manufacturers who change components at will depending on price. They get away with it so long as the overall unit remains basically the same. You did get a deal if it feels sturdy. If so, I'd forget about it.

5. fjgindy

fjgindy

Jan 21, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I've purchased probably 15 different items from Amvona with complete satisfaction and never the slightest hitch. I have the 858CL tripod from them , which I think is the same tripod with a different ball head. The feet were included in a seperate plastic bag, inside the box, not attached to the tripod.

Is it possible you missed them? Or...mistakes happen and they weren't put in the box.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2007
  6. Today was my first opportunity to really shoot with my Amvona CF monopod (as opposed to just fooling around with it in the house). I was trying out the 80-200mm with my new Tamron 1.4x TC. I have to say, first, I am no expert, but second, I was pleasantly pleased with it. Again, for a ~$65 carbon fiber unit, with ball head, its pretty good.

7. DeoreDX

DeoreDX

Jan 16, 2007
    Alabamastan
    Yep, I found them. They were not in the box with the tripod, they were mixed in with the Styrofoam peanuts in the bottom of the shipping box. I never noticed them until today when I went to ship a golf club in the box :redface:

8. DeoreDX

DeoreDX

Jan 16, 2007
    Alabamastan
    BTW... love the tripod. I think it will suit my needs just fine. Hold my D50, 80-200, and SB600 up just fine.

9. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Does not matter the deal, I would not buy anything from someone that conducts business this way. I suppose if you want a "deal" you put up with this non-sense. But it's not for me.

10. Actually, Doug, I wholeheartedly agree with you. I purchased my monopod from Amvona before I researched them on the forums, and had I seen those reviews first, I would not have have given them my business. While I like saving money as much as the next person, I value good customer service a lot more, and believe very strongly in "voting" with my business.

11. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Mike, sometimes, we all learn hard lessons before we are in the know. Sometimes, we get lucky and it goes ok for us. At least you did ok.

I'm reminded of a deal I had with an outfit right after I got seriously back into photography, Jan 06. Certainly, not saying it's associated with this company...

But my story- I bought a tri-pod off ebay, a Manfrotto. I got it reasonably ok, and new as advertised after having to push some. But I also bought a head from the same company, and after them basically not answering emails or their phone, I unloaded on them. I reported to ebay, paypal, etc..., fully describing their scam methods, how they baited people on cheap things, then as people trusted, and ordered more significant things, the relationship changed. Thank God I never gave them a credit card direct.

After my turning them in, I got my new Manfrott0 468RCII head, shipped from Manfrotto direct. I never knew if the order in fact was placed and just slow to ship, or if they called a day or two earlier after the heat got turned up. Not long thereafter, they went out. Another phase in the NY New Jersey photo mafia becomes part of history. Probably reopened under a new name soon after.