Amy Louise at the beach

Discussion in 'People' started by antsplan, May 29, 2007.

1. edit

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2009
  2. latest version! i love it. how'd you do that? :)

3. wonderful work. The third would be my choice

4. Wow! I liked #1 until I saw #2. And then, #3 blew that one away! The third one is incredible... the parents will be thrilled.

5. Ghunger

Ghunger

Apr 2, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I really like the third as well, but one thing caught my eye that I really don't see in the first. The roof line in the last seems to have a halo of sorts. Not sure what would have caused this but it appears to be some artifact of the post processing. I don't see it at all in the first, just a little in the second, and more in the third. Maybe someone a bit more experienced can tell what caused that.

6. satelite seven

satelite seven

May 14, 2006
    london
    Number three is right up my street Anthony, cool conversion, I like it a lot. did you use the high pass filter at all?

7. Well thank you Laura.

I shot in B&W mode in the D80 and also NEF Raw and JPG, this gave me a colour NEF and a B&W JPG. Believe it or not I actually used the NEF editor in CS3 to adjust the JPG. As usual I adjusted the sliders until I came up with what I have. Mainly I used fill light and then also increased the blacks value and added a little brightness.

I nearly forgot I used the Dodge and Burn tools on the highlights/shadows respectively set at about 8%.

To be honest though PP is far from a strong point for me as Im really still learning the ropes with both PP and Photography. I sometimes do things without really understanding what I'm doing but have so far found that trial and error is a fair way to proceed. When I find a method I like I usually make note of it for future.

Very pleased you liked it. :biggrin:

8. Dave/Anthony

Many thanks for your kind words.

9. Brian

I too noticed that and would def put it down to artefacts from the PP. I did think that halo-ing usually occured from sharpening and AFAICR I didnt sharpen. I am going to try again using a different method to get somewhere close to the same results without the halo.

Thank you.

10. Patrick, thank you, I didnt actually use the high pass filter, please see my very crude method above.

I do actually have another version which isnt quite finished, which involved increasing the brightness via a layer adjustment. I then used a layer mask to paint all of this out except for her face, therefore retaining the lightness around her face.

On top of this I sharpened, then added a Gaussian Blur layer at 30 pixels, changed the blending mode to soft light and reduced opacity to approx 30-40%, this can often give a very nice effect, and I'm certain that I have saw others on this forum use this method or something similar.

On a slight tangent - do any of you ever feel that you can look at a shot for so long and over analyse it to the nth degree attempting to improve it and in the end find that you actually end up hating it as its never going to be perfect - are they ever ? I think I may start a new thread on this topic specifically - LOL

Thanks all for taking the time to comment.

11. TonyC

TonyC Guest

No 3. for me Anthony, great stuff. I'm going to write down what you said above re PP and try that with one of mine.

12. Hey Jimmy, nice to see you here mate - glad you made it. :biggrin:

13. I too like #3 for all the reasons stated above. However, I also like #2, just because it makes me feel like an early morning walk

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2007
  14. Of course I am a fan of #3 as well. Thanks for sharing these.