Amy Marshall Dance Company

This is a group from NYC that performed in Boston last year. amazing dancers they were and still are. only had time to work on them recently cos been busy :Mysteriou
PP might be a bit over the top, but hope you enjoy these!
(more photos at http://PoeticMotion.net)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, guys. I shot with a D2h, yeah that dinosaur of an equipment :redface:
These weren't HDR'd. btw, how do you HDR an image from one exposure? :confused:
I've tried making 3 copies from a single image with each curve properties adjusted for shadows, mid-tones and highlights but when I try to HDR them, photoshop complained about a lack of exposure range and did nothing.

in a nutshell, I shoot RAW and denoise in Capture 4.4 then edit in photoshop and lightroom the following way:
#clone away distractions eg dirty floor, tapes, extra dancers, stage lights
#burn&dodge(burn blackground around dancers which can be an arduous process if background is light and you have hairs to avoid)
#open image in lightroom and move recovery slider to the right until you get the HDR-like effect that you like
#adjust clarity, vibrance and saturation
#go back to photoshop to adjust curve and smart sharpen the whole thing

as you can see, it's a brute force method and took me a while just to finish one image. what made it worse was the fact that I'm using a single core laptop :Teeth:

in some of the photos the dancers came out shinny cos they were over-exposed by about 1.5 stops cos the stage lights keep changing and I was shooting in manual mode and was too slow to compensate. so I edit the photos based on what raw data I got, not on some preconceived idea. I don't have the privilege for the latter cos I'm shooting a one time dress rehearsal and have no idea what to expect in the choreography and lighting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, everyone! you're all too nice and lemme tell you why. since there're so few dance photographers around I decided to post at a canon forum a few days ago for the first time(without revealing my equipment at first) and guess what, I get complains like fake PP, too dark and some even(including the mod) wanted to view the original un-PP'd images. all these without a single welcome :mad:

great work from D2H
yeah, go D2H!!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom