An accidental URBEX for my first D850 focus stack learning

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Ed Catlett, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Ed Catlett

Ed Catlett

Oct 24, 2017
    I was out looking for fall colors and waterfalls in PA last weekend and came upon this so I had to explore a little. Seemed like a good opportunity to learn "Focus Shift" (horrible name).

D850, 24mm lens, 6 shots (had it set at like 20 but camera stopped at infinity), step value 2 (I think) f5.6, 1/1.3 shutter, ISO 400 (not the most stable platform and didn't want any longer shutter speed)

2017-11-04-20-14-30-(B,Radius8,Smoothing4).

2. THe stacked worked nicely

URBEX has me stumped; what is it?

Larry

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. URBan EXploration?

4. urbane experience? I hate it when people make up their own meaningless or ambiguous short forms or acronyms and force one to ask what they're talking about.

Larry

5. 480sparky

480sparky

May 27, 2013
    Cornpatch
    LMGTFY.

6. Back to original - focus stacking worked well - good to see that.

7. Ed Catlett

Ed Catlett

Oct 24, 2017
    You not knowing what it means doesn't mean I made it up and frankly that is a pretty jerky comment. I came here because I was led to believe this place wasn't like dpreview forums. Guess I was wrong. Sorry for being such a bother.

URBEX - Google Search

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Google is your friend in this, and similar, cases :D

9. Ed Catlett

Ed Catlett

Oct 24, 2017
    • Wow Wow x 1
  10. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Sorry for that impression! Generally our members are friendlier and not so quick to judge. Hope you give the site another chance.

11. With all my grandkids and great grandkids I just ask when I don't know a modern term and they invariably can define it for me. After all they don't want their family patriarch to appear less than knowledgeable. :D

• Like Like x 2
  12. web52

web52

May 9, 2008
    houston tx
    Looks interesting, along the lines of what I saw in the 500px link. URBEX is a new acronym for me, too. Thanks for sharing with us.

13. I think this is a successful, well done image.
    The only part that bothers me is that the fireplace is distorted.
    My eye/brain can accept any other of the walls/floors/stairs being off vertical/horizontal/crooked but a stone fireplace being twisted without breaks or cracks isn't believable.

Lew

14. Ed Catlett

Ed Catlett

Oct 24, 2017
    Interesting. I have to think about that one for futures. The situation was that I trusted my bubble level. The bubble level agreed with the live view level but still maybe I should have ignored all of that gone parallel to the mantel.

15. Ed, that wasn't exactly what I was trying to say.
    All of the other angles, everything not being straight, made sense to my eye because the room is in a state of collapse.
    It was only the stone fireplace not having right angles and teh sides not being parallel that jolted my eye.

Fireplaces built of stone and cement can't be that way and so it looked odd and stood out.
    Didn't mean to make such a fuss.
    Sorry.

upload_2017-11-10_21-16-58.

16. Ed Catlett

Ed Catlett

Oct 24, 2017
    No really I appreciate it. So my tripod was too high and was aiming down just a bit. Didn't get the front back level correct. Thanks! Rather do it on something of an experiment than on something I care more about.