An accidental URBEX for my first D850 focus stack learning

Ed, that wasn't exactly what I was trying to say.
All of the other angles, everything not being straight, made sense to my eye because the room is in a state of collapse.
It was only the stone fireplace not having right angles and teh sides not being parallel that jolted my eye.

Fireplaces built of stone and cement can't be that way and so it looked odd and stood out.
Didn't mean to make such a fuss.
Sorry.

View attachment 1590213

Took another stab at it to make up for my technique screw up. Also decided to open up the shadows a bit back behind the fireplace on each side. Better?
2017-11-04-20-14-30-(B,Radius8,Smoothing4)v2.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Took another stab at it to make up for my technique screw up. Also decided to open up the shadows a bit back behind the fireplace on each side. Better?
View attachment 1590214

For me it is, yes. I like this sort of thing. Always interesting. What would that circular pipe set into the stone above the fireplace have been for? There appears to be a second to the right in the collapsing overheads.

I was out looking for fall colors and waterfalls in PA last weekend and came upon this so I had to explore a little. Seemed like a good opportunity to learn "Focus Shift" (horrible name).

D850, 24mm lens, 6 shots (had it set at like 20 but camera stopped at infinity), step value 2 (I think) f5.6, 1/1.3 shutter, ISO 400 (not the most stable platform and didn't want any longer shutter speed)

View attachment 1590156
It's an interesting shot and a good demonstration of the 850's focus shifting.

I would have been tempted to use a hyperfocal - after all, 24mm is fairly wide. DOFMaster says the hyperfocal at f/16 would be 4 feet. What would lead you to stacking instead?

It's an interesting shot and a good demonstration of the 850's focus shifting.

I would have been tempted to use a hyperfocal - after all, 24mm is fairly wide. DOFMaster says the hyperfocal at f/16 would be 4 feet. What would lead you to stacking instead?

5.6 is better than f/16 for most lenses. Probably would have been OK as closest was closer than 4 but I didn't need infinity. Hyperfocal also doesn't mean everything is as sharp as it can be. It means acceptably sharp but you will always be somewhat off at the far points of front and back of focus.

Easiest reason is when you want to test out focus stacking at peak lens performance this has lots of front to back.

Latest threads

Top Bottom