1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

An Amercian Castle

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by Ken K, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Ken K

Ken K

Dec 10, 2007
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Out on a Sunday afternoon drive while visiting our son who lives in the Detriot area, we came across this mansion. It was built by the widow of John Dodge, one of the founders of the Dodge automobile company, and her second husband. It wa built in the mid 1900's at a cost of $4,000,000. It is 88,000 sq ft with 110 rooms, and has 14 gardens surrounding the mansion.

Here are but a few of the images I shot.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

2. lovely...nice shots. what's its present state? private, museum, open inside?

3. Ken K

Ken K

Dec 10, 2007
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Chris, it is a private museum and open to the public for tours. But it was closed to tours the Sunday we were there.

4. WOW! Looks like a lovely place to visit! Nice captures too!

5. beautiful mansion, ken
    nice shots
    i like the one of the guy painting, as well

6. rmi1

rmi1

Jan 14, 2008
    Western Hemisphere
    The mansion is Meadow Brook Hall on the campus of Oakland University in Rochester. Your pictures capture the site wonderfully. There are several other auto barons home in S.E. Michigan. Edsel Ford's in one of the Points is a little smaller (equally picturesque), Henry Ford's at UofM Dearborn is more mid-western in style whilst the Fisher mansion in Detroit is "different" - it's a 22000 sq foot Mediterranean villa with 2 bedrooms and excessive amounts of tile - the place is now a Bhaktivedanta Cultural Center.

7. Ken K

Ken K

Dec 10, 2007
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Thanks rmi for looking and info on other auto barons homes. Since my son lives in the Detriot are, every time we go there, we go to one of these homes. The Edsel home is our next stop. Also, the Fisher mansion sounds like a must see.

8. Ken K

Ken K

Dec 10, 2007
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Thanks Glen & Dianne for your comments. It is indeed a beautiful place. I'm looking forward to returing to take a tour of the place.

9. looks like a very cool place to photograph. good shots!

10. VDMTom

VDMTom

Jun 24, 2008
    CA, USA
    wow, $4million for something that big ? in CA that would easily be in 10million range.

11. That was $4 Million in the mid 1900's, so it would be somewhere between $150 to $250+ million today, maybe more... BIG Bickies....
    BTW Ken, nice shots....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.