An animal that poops out gourmet coffee beans

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.

Personally, I prefer a medium roasted Costa Rica, but Indonesian (not Philippine) coffee has it's fans. I've had Kopi Luwak before and it's very good, but not quite what I'm looking for in coffee. Besides, like Kona and Blue Mountain, it's a little too expensive for me.

I've tried it and it's really REALLY good. The only thing I don't understand is the $600 USD price tag.. It probably costs about 100 pesos to produce in the Philippines (about $2 USD). The process looks simple enough... feed fruits, harvest poop, wash poop, dry poop, brew poop, and finally drink "coffee". :biggrin:

EDIT- it looks like the Civet animal is endangered, and that the process of making it is very rigorous to justify the price tag.

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.

Personally, I prefer a medium roasted Costa Rica, but Indonesian (not Philippine) coffee has it's fans. I've had Kopi Luwak before and it's very good, but not quite what I'm looking for in coffee. Besides, like Kona and Blue Mountain, it's a little too expensive for me.

'Kopi Luwak' itself is in Indonesian language, not Tagalog ..
I read that when the Luwak is 'producing' coffe beans (usually at night), it makes a sound that almost similar to human baby cry.... imagine you are in the middle of a coffe plantation, and you have no idea about Luwak, and suddenly you hear baby crying ..

What's wrong with that? Never had blood sausage? We ate it at least once per month when I was little. 1/2" Frying in a pan for a few minutes, grated apple on top, mmmhhh... :smile:

Well, if YOU are any example we can sure see what eating Blood Sausage can cause :wink::wink::tongue::biggrin:

What always amazes me is where do people come up with this stuff?

Haggis
Head Cheese - heck, it doesn't even HAVE any cheese :eek:

Are these examples of Ultimate Recycling?????? :eek::eek::eek::wink:

Wierd Food & Strange Food from Around the World certainly has a few interesting ones, some even invented right here it he good ole' USA :wink:

M

Messiah Khan

Well, if YOU are any example we can sure see what eating Blood Sausage can cause :wink::wink::tongue::biggrin:

What always amazes me is where do people come up with this stuff?

Haggis
Head Cheese - heck, it doesn't even HAVE any cheese :eek:

Are these examples of Ultimate Recycling?????? :eek::eek::eek::wink:

Wierd Food & Strange Food from Around the World certainly has a few interesting ones, some even invented right here it he good ole' USA :wink:

Blood pudding, or 'Black Pudding' as it is here in the UK isn't bad. You'll find it in any self respecting english breakfast. And Haggis is nice. But the Haggis animal is now becomming endangered. :tongue:

Edit;

Balut (Phillipines) (This is also spelled Baloot, Baalut, Baluge, or Balute.) Half-hatched chicken egg. A baluge is a fifteen- or sixteen-day fertilized chicken egg. Open an egg and pop a sixteen-day-old incomplete chicken fetus into your mouth, complete with partially formed feathers, feet, eyeballs, and blood vessels showing through the translucent skin of the chick. My grandfather told me about this. He says the bad part is picking the feathers out of your teeth

Now I'll eat most things, and have already eaten some weird stuff, but I think this is a little too weird and disgusting even for me.

I've eaten rattlesnake (not bad, actually) and I actually like brussel sprouts. But as much as I love coffee, I'm not about to drink Civet poop. BTW, Kona coffee is one of my favorites.

Balut (Phillipines) (This is also spelled Baloot, Baalut, Baluge, or Balute.) Half-hatched chicken egg. A baluge is a fifteen- or sixteen-day fertilized chicken egg. Open an egg and pop a sixteen-day-old incomplete chicken fetus into your mouth, complete with partially formed feathers, feet, eyeballs, and blood vessels showing through the translucent skin of the chick. My grandfather told me about this. He says the bad part is picking the feathers out of your teeth.

I've eaten probably about ten thousand baluts in my life and it's not even that brutal, lol. There are feathers, but they are more like super tiny hairs they barely resemble feathers. There are blood vessels but they are also very tiny, you'd have to look really close to see them. I don't ever recall seeing an eyeball either. Picking the feathers from your teeth? The "feathers" are too small to pick.

The best part of balut is the juice. You don't get a lot, just barely a tablespoon, but it's delicious stuff. It puts Campbells chicken soup to shame.

What your grandpa didn't tell you though, is that sometimes you can choke while eating balut because the tiny chicken feet can scratch your throat when you swallow it. You have to immediately follow up with Kopi Luwak. :wink:

btw, I'd take the balut over any greasy stuff they sell at McD's anyday! :biggrin:

While I have never had the "pleasure" of trying this coffee, I have read about it for years and each article extolled the virtue of this "enhanced" bean. I have never seen it for sale by any of the local roasters so I doubt that I will ever have the opportunity of trying it out but at $600 a pound, I is very unlikely that I would buy even so much as a cup. Don

I've eaten rattlesnake (not bad, actually) and I actually like brussel sprouts. But as much as I love coffee, I'm not about to drink Civet poop. BTW, Kona coffee is one of my favorites.

Really??? I thought I was the only weirdo around here that's eaten rattlesnake... :tongue: Maybe my grampa cooked it wrong, but mine was too chewy... As to the coffee, I like a good coffee as much as the next "Joe", but I'm not about to pay $600 a pop for it, although it doesn't really bother me where it came from, not when I've grown up trying the foods I have!!! :eek:

Well, I've got a ferret, a jar of Nescafe, and a bright idea. I'll report back in 12 hours.

Latest threads

Top Bottom