An Australian icon

OK, here goes. I'm new here, so let's see if I can post a pic.

You might enjoy this shot of our native Kookaburra. I found this guy in my backyard one afternoon.

It was late afternoon and the branches and the bird's tail were in heavy shadow. A few kind souls at helped me to get the most out of the shot and I learned a lot about manipulating levels in NX.

133831495-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D50, 80-200/2.8 twin-ring.

C&C welcome.

Well done! Nice comp, cool bg, stil holding detail in the whites under those lighting conditions is hard. Like the pale blues on his side. What does this bird call lunch? That`s a big ol snozel for suc a little bird.

Kookaburras aren't that little. They can have a wingspan of about 2 feet. They're members of the kingfisher family but eat lizards, rodents and bugs too. :smile:

Kookaburras aren't that little. They can have a wingspan of about 2 feet. They're members of the kingfisher family but eat lizards, rodents and bugs too. :smile:

Oh, and sausages, steak, banana fritters, and anything else they can swoop on at a family barbeque !

Seriously. Over here they hang out in large numbers in national parks, picnic areas etc, and I'd rate them as one of the bravest birds out there. Several times my young son has had his sandwch half-way to his mouth and had his lunch taken from between the two pieces of bread by one of these guys ! It's hard to get mad at them though because they are rather cute.

I've never had one talk to me though. Laugh at me, yes....

Thanks for all the comments guys and gals.

Latest threads

Top Bottom