An early fall drive on a gloomy day

Even though the calendar says it is still summer until tomorrow, it is early fall here. We have had rainy/cold weather here this week, but yesterday it was forecasted to be nice in Idaho Falls, where I live. So Greg and I thought it would be a good day to go to the mountains to go on a hike into an area that usually has some pretty fall colors this time of year. As we drove towards the trailhead, we could see the weather getting worse and worse, so we knew that a hike was not going to happen. So we continued on and drove to Grand Teton National Park and went around the loop. It was a beautiful drive on a very gloomy day.

The colors near Palisades Reservoir (near the area where we were going to hike).
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Palisades Reservoir and one of the mountains there.....notice the snow falling!! Not ready for that.

Raining at String Lake in Grand Teton National Park

Looking south towards the Tetons and Jackson Lake. The storm was lifting.

Fall colors just starting in Grand Teton National Park

We were getting mighty hungry by the time we saw this pretty scene on our drive back to Jackson Hole. We only made a quick stop for a snapshot.

Not my best photos, but I thought you might like to see what is happening in my neck of the woods. Hopefully the hike will happen sometime next week.

The light and overall scene are quite nice in the fifth image. Well done!
Thanks, Mike. Right behind the largest evergreen tree was a herd of elk. The rut is going on and they won't let anyone get near them. Hopefully I'll make it back there for some better photos. It was mostly a day for a drive, not serious photography.

Agree with Jim; we need the rain!!!! I’m sitting out on my deck in shorts and a tank top, it’s still that warm here in the DC area. Earlier this afternoon I took a walk around our little lake and that sun was beating down fiercely, almost as strong as in July or August! We had a few days of cooler weather last week but clearly summer is not ready to let go of us yet.....

What a beautiful and scenic area you live in, Terri! Wonderful photos!

Beautiful Terri, my favorite time of year in one of my favorite places. Like all of them, the first two are my favorites. You’re very fortunate to live there. A friend in JH told me the mountains were going to get about a foot of snow from that storm.

Great pics, makes me eager for some cooler wetter weather. Have not seen rain at my house in three months. All this coming week highs forecast to average 95 deg F.

Trees here are already dropping leaves, due to the trees sensing shorter days.

Beautiful scenery, Terri, well photographed.

Please send some of your damp weather our way. Still hot and dry here; we've had less than an inch of rain for the last two months.
Thank you so much! I’m sorry you have been so dry. We are used to dry weather here but the rain has been nice. All the lawns are green again! I’m not ready for snow and cold. Our winters last way too long.

Agree with Jim; we need the rain!!!! I’m sitting out on my deck in shorts and a tank top, it’s still that warm here in the DC area. Earlier this afternoon I took a walk around our little lake and that sun was beating down fiercely, almost as strong as in July or August! We had a few days of cooler weather last week but clearly summer is not ready to let go of us yet.....

What a beautiful and scenic area you live in, Terri! Wonderful photos!
That heat doesn’t sound fun at all. Hope you cool down soon! You won’t be jealous of me in the winter!

Beautiful Terri, my favorite time of year in one of my favorite places. Like all of them, the first two are my favorites. You’re very fortunate to live there. A friend in JH told me the mountains were going to get about a foot of snow from that storm.
I wouldn’t be surprised. Hopefully we will have another good, wet winter this year. I feel pretty lucky to live so close to two national parks, although both are getting so crowded that we don’t go there as often as we used to.

Great pics, makes me eager for some cooler wetter weather. Have not seen rain at my house in three months. All this coming week highs forecast to average 95 deg F.

Trees here are already dropping leaves, due to the trees sensing shorter days.
Yikes! That heat sounds miserable. We had a hot summer too although we always cool down at night with our dry air and it makes the heat more tolerable when you can enjoy the cool mornings and evenings.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom