An Elk surprise to me.

What a thrill it was to see about 60 Roosevelt Elk in a medow in Northern Calif. coming down thru the Giant Redwoods. The herd was a few hundred yards off the Hwy. Thought I'd share what gave me a pleasant surprise. This species is one of the smaller of the Elk family. Hope you like.
Pete
31055487-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

WHAT A CUTE FACE LOL
31055490-L.jpg

SOME YOUNG BULL ELKS STILL IN VELVET
31055494-L.jpg

31055495-L.jpg

Excellent shots Pete. Looks like you were pretty close. It must have been a real rush when you saw this bunch headed your way. :wink:

good shoots. A crop of the first would qualify for the current challenge and get you some free dvd's if your number 1!

Very nice and looks like a peacefull setting.

Flew said:
Excellent shots Pete. Looks like you were pretty close. It must have been a real rush when you saw this bunch headed your way. :wink:
Hi Frank, it was a real rush when I saw them. The herd did not seem to be afraid but I didn't want to get too close. I used the 70-200VR and wish I had at least my 300mm but to hand hold when being nervous was not what I needed.
Pete

Beautiful animals....It just goes to show you the importance of having your camera near by because you never know what you will come across. Thanks for sharing.....

Greg said:
good shoots. A crop of the first would qualify for the current challenge and get you some free dvd's if your number 1!

Very nice and looks like a peacefull setting.
Hey there Greg, thanks for the comment. The setting was a very peacefull place and I'm sure the herd vists it often. I looked at the current challenge and I just might get into it. Not sure I understand the rule about time and entering. I took this photo prior to the time listed in the rules. Maybe you can enlighten me.
Pete

eng45ine said:
Beautiful animals....It just goes to show you the importance of having your camera near by because you never know what you will come across. Thanks for sharing.....
Thank you Frank, and yes I always carry a camera with me. Most of the time I carry two and they do come in handy.
Pete

eng45ine said:
Thank you Frank, and yes I always carry a camera with me. Most of the time I carry two and they do come in handy.
Pete

JamesMor said:
Nicely done! I love Elk - they are such elegant creatures.

-JM
Hi James, thank you for your comments. I read the article on Spring in the Elk Refuge. I'm guessing it was you anyway. If it was you it looks like you have had some great experiences with the big ones and also some of the other wild life we have in this beautiful country.
Pete

Latest threads

Top Bottom