1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

An engineering marvel

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Bob Coutant, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    After strong winds rolled through here a couple of nights ago, we found this nest lying in the road. It has to be the original composite structure – fine twigs woven together with long strands of horsehair. It measures 3 x 2.5 inches – coffee mug size, with walls that are no more than 1mm thick, and a lining of grass. Strong but flexible, the tree branches broke, but the nest survived the wind and the crash landing. :cool: 

I’m guessing that an oriole built it – if anyone knows otherwise, please let me know.

DSC_0842sm.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. I like the background for contrast, the image is very well done.

3. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks Brett -- The weather has turned cold here, and I was wearing my micro-fleece pullover hood. That's what I used for the background.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thats a keeper.

Put in a wooden frame with glass.

Beautiful image.
    Agree with the Oriole nest.

5. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks Gale -- This is the first opportunity I've had to examine one closely -- it really is neat.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.