An Evening With the D700...

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by gnagel, Aug 7, 2008.

1. I had an opportunity to capture some twilight images with my D700 last night. I used the 24-70 for the wide angle shots and the 300 2.8 for the close-ups. As always, comments are welcomed and appreciated:

#1: Cal-Sag Channel
    [​IMG]

#2: Fire Cloud
    p79066157-5.

#3: Pink & Blue Swirl
    p349173636-5.

#4: Big Sky
    [​IMG]

#5: A Touch of Clouds
    p143392920-5.

#6: Three in a Tree
    p14350140-5.

Thanks again for looking...
    Glenn

2. #1 and #6 are my favorites... is #1 a HDR or is that a single exposure???

Love #6!

3. Thanks Ron...

#1 is a HDR image (is it too obvious?). All the others are single exposures.

Thanks again,
    Glenn

4. keko

keko

Jul 20, 2007
    Barcelona
    Wonderful shots Glenn,

When comparing to #4 the HDR effect of #1 becomes more obvious.

5. Thanks Luis...

I tried unsuccessfully to make #4 a HDR image. For some reason, I was unable to keep my three images lined up for that shot--despite having the camera securely mounted on a tripod and using the mirror-up with cable release!

Glenn

6. this is me

this is me

Feb 10, 2007
    MA
    Crooked horizon on the 1st and the 4th.

7. a very nice series, glen
    love what you've done here

8. Thanks for your comment.

I'm just not seeing it, though. I applied the straightening tool to the horizon line during post processing. The horizon is not easy to detect in these photos, but I did apply the line to the visible horizon at the far side of the channel.

Am I missing something?

Glenn

9. Thanks again for commenting Greg.

10. keko

keko

Jul 20, 2007
    Barcelona
    Glenn,

in case you shot in RAW, since you used base ISO and the excellent dyanmic range of the D700 you might want to try getting the HDR directly from RAW. I've used Photomatix Pro with a single RAW file quite succesfully...

Nick,
    Shots #1 and #4 look leveled on my monitor.

11. 1st and 6th are gorgeous!! Thank you for posting.

Vlad

12. No... not at all... I just think it is stunning! I've seen some HDRs that while cool were over baked a bit. I had to ask if yours was an HDR! :biggrin:

About the horizon appearing a bit low on the left... it might be an optical illusion because of the sweep of the clouds as well as your position relative to the mid-line of the channel.

I would think that in such a case you could tip her to the right to get around that... if you felt it was necessary.

13. Nick,

Thanks for the idea! I hadn't even considered using one image--and I did shoot everything in RAW.

Glenn

14. Thanks Vlad

15. Thanks Ron...

I try to avoid those cartoonish looking HDR images. But, it's hard not to take those over the top when processing them in Photomatix.

Thanks again,
    Glenn

16. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    great shots and horizons look fine to me!

17. Thanks Leo...

I don't always trust myself with the horizons. I usually end up having to use the straightening tool during post processing--no matter how much I try to get the horizons right in-camera!

Glenn

18. MrCupHolder

MrCupHolder

Jul 3, 2008
    Australia
    Just a tip as far as the horizon goes.

There's a level in the camera :biggrin:
    Cos there's so many options in the camera I can't tell your where it's buried but there is one there. I'm yet to see how acurate it is but it at least should get you close.

As far as my opinion is concerned I can't tell you if it's level or not considering that you have so little horizon actually in view (the end of the water) and the clouds are on a funny angle it could just be illusion.

19. :biggrin:

I'm thinking it's an illusion.

Glenn

20. PPPOEx

PPPOEx

Jan 13, 2008
    taiwan
    love #1, really amazing. nice pics.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.