An example of the extreme croppability of the D2X

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Steve S, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    This is fairly typical of what I'm constantly faced with, the need to do a heavy duty crop of an image. The 2X allows me to do that. Not the very best image to do this with, but you get the idea.
    Full Frame:
    original.

Super Cropped:
    original.
    Model NIKON D2X
    Focal Length 240 mm
    Exposure Time 1/1600 sec
    Aperture f/5
    ISO Equivalent 400
    Exposure Bias -2/3
    White Balance
    Metering Mode matrix
    Exposure Program aperture priority

2. Thanks Steve!! Does a pretty good job cropping the image. :D :D

3. Wow Steve, looks like you got yourself a 2500mm lens :shock:
    Great shot :wink:

4. Ooh yes I agree

Here is one of mine that I took last week in the Woodland Zoo, Seattle on my outing with Brente

and here is a 100% crop, can you believe it?

all with the D2x and the mighty Sigma 800 5.6, the full Wimberly mount

Am I in Heaven?

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Boy, you betcha!

Very good clarity, Andreas. I do notice that one has to keep a very fast shutter, and be very steady if you want this kind of extreme croppability. Nice, how much was the original shot cropped?

6. Re: Boy, you betcha!

Well I use a Wimberley mount on my Gitzo G310, so I don't need to be so concernced about the shooting speed. I have had sharp shots down to 1/40th although that is cutting it a bit close. 1/125th and 7.1 seems to be a good spot for me to shoot it at. The Sigma peaks in sharpness at F7.1.

The original shot was not cropped at all, you get a bit to close with the Sigma 800 in these cases.... Brent had a 500 Afs and that was much better for getting the full Lion etc.

7. mrdinh

mrdinh

Mar 8, 2005
    North Dakota
    can i ask?...with the heavy cropping...if you tried printing them? and if so, what sizes?

with my d2h and shooting sports i tend to crop alot also but don't get the best results due to the limited pixel counts...

please share input

thanks

8. ok I will go and get them printed

or if you don't want to wait for my prints go to my pBase account find the images and then click original size then right click and save as, choose filename and try it yourself.

www.pbase.com/andreasb/d2x_pictures

Let me know what you plan to do

9. I printed both the Crane and the crop of the crane

I printed both the Crane and the crop of the crane and I have to say it looks absolutely fabulous, I would not be afraid to print it all in 100% crop which would amount to a huge size (A2 or A1 size not sure which) The crop has lots of detail and is still sharp as heck.

Wish I could show it here but prints are hard to insert into the post :lol:

10. Hi Steve and Andreas

This is an excellent topic, as I think this is why many of us want the D2X. I am very encouraged by both of your samples. Thanks for posting them.

11. I'll bring it over netxt time I come up

Rory, I'll bring it over netxt time I come up, (not this weekend but next) so you can see for yourself

12. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    I continue to be impressed by the resolution of the D2X. I take a lot of shots of small birds and the feather detail is simply amazing. Here are links to two images, a full frame JPEG (caution, large file) and a 1:1 crop from that JPEG:

Full frame: http://www.joecolson.com/_JCX0842.jpg
    Crop: http://www.joecolson.com/_JCX0842_crop.jpg

I haven't done any color enhancements on this shot. And I used Auto WB. I did use the Capture D-lighting feature for the first time and it worked well.

13. These are very impressive examples. Love the crop of the cardinal, Joe.

14. The D2X is like the ultimate paparazzi camera. I'm going to get myself punched by a celebrity, sue and then cash in just to buy a D2X! :)

15. crop test and handheld tests for 200-400 f4 vr on D2X

If i can figure out how to attach these 2 photos I will post them. stormy here all day, but sun came out long enuf to test some of the new equipment i bought.
    [​IMG]

16. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dave,

Where are your pics? I'll post the link and show you how if you'll tell me where they are.

Frank

17. in my documents, if that is what you meant.

18. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dave,

I meant where are the originals (pbase or smugmug for example), what page are they one, and which ones on that page?

Frank

19. i am not familiar with either of those, Frank. Tell me how to get them on one of those and i will try

20. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dave,

In order to post your pics here (or on any forum), they must be uploaded to a photo sharing site. There are many, but two of the most common ones are pbase.com and smugmug.com (I use smugmug). Setting up an account at one of these is easy and inexpensive (smugmug charges $29.95 / year for their basic account). Typically you can get a trial membership just to see whether you like the site. At smugmug, the trial is for 7 days I believe. If you decide that you don't want the account, just notify them before the 7 days is up, and you won't be charged.

In any case, once you set up the account, you follow the simple directions on the site for uploading your photos. This is almost always done as a .jpg file, and most folks upload reduced size versions, to speed the upload process, and to conserve their allocated disk space on the site.

When you have done that, you then follow the directions on the site for sharing the photos with friends or forums. At smugmug, there is a button that says 'share with friends and forums' or something like that. Uncle Frank has written a good guide on sharing from pbase in the Announcement forum.

If you do go to smugmug, use my code (qJuD7ovacn23c) as a reference, and you will get a $5 discount (and I will get a $10 credit....;-)).

If you need any more help, just let me know.

Frank