An extremely busy two weeks...

I have been extremely fortunate in able to do what I love for a living for the past year. There are ebbs and flows with being a professional photographer, slow times and insanely busy times. Since Memorial Day, I have been in the midst of the latter. A wedding, multiple graduations, spring playoffs, a couple of First Communion masses, a dance recital, and normal studio work have all converged at once. Not that I’m complaining, because I do feel lucky, but it’s nice to finally have a day off today ;)

As I mentioned, in the middle of all of this was a beautiful wedding that I was happy to be a small part of. A friend needed a second camera, and who was I to say no? Matt and Macy seem to be an amazing couple, and I wish them all the best.

1)
20210604_152150__Z720001.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2)
20210604_183317__Z720246.jpg

A few nights this past week involved photographing a local dance studio's dress rehearsal, and making some formal portraits as well:

3)
20210608_160437__Z720044.jpg

One of the strengths of the studio I work for is our ability to be flexible with the many schools we are contracted with. Some of our schools did not allow senior portraits inside, so we opted for outdoor senior portraits. These out door portraits were so well received, some of these schools have opted to keep them for next year.

4.)
20210610_092007__Z720063.jpg

5.)
20210610_114332__Z720182.jpg

Through all of this, sports is my bread and butter. Being able to still shoot for the local press is also something that I feel very fortunate for. High school spring sports held their state tournaments over the last two weeks, and the games were all amazing:

6)
20210612_160320__D050974.jpg

7)
NorwalkWesthillBase2021062-1005.jpg

8)
NorwalkWesthillBase2021062-1010.jpg

9)
NorwalkWesthillBase2021062-1018.jpg

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Well, I AM IMPRESSED! All the images are outstanding! No way I could pick a favorite. You excel at each specialty.....and it shows!

Thank you all so much! :)

Please explain the last photo. Was it celebrating a no-hitter, a walk-off, or what? My guess is that it was a walk-off.

I should have added some context to the last few images. This was following the last out of the title game. Norwalk high had never won their division's state title, started the tournament ranked 24 out of a field of 32 teams, and won it all.

These are all excellent, but I am especially impressed with the group photo of the wedding party. I would never have thought to make a photo like that with an 85mm lens at f/1.8, but the results speak for themselves. Good going!

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Dave, a great thread! I can see why I had a nomination in my messages to feature this thread on the home page with an outstanding image from this thread. Wonderful variety and work.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
These are all excellent, but I am especially impressed with the group photo of the wedding party. I would never have thought to make a photo like that with an 85mm lens at f/1.8, but the results speak for themselves. Good going!
In some portrait photo groups I'm in on social media sites this kind of group photo is fairly common now .. to blur out and compress the background. It really is a great image.

In some portrait photo groups I'm in on social media sites this kind of group photo is fairly common now .. to blur out and compress the background. It really is a great image.

I would have worried that the focus zone would be too thin to get everyone sharp. But obviously it worked fine.

I can't believe you shot that group at f1.8. Kudos for pulling it off.

I've made that mistake after shooting some prom portraits. I quickly realized and stopped down a bit, but the wide open group shots would not have been useable.

I would have worried that the focus zone would be too thin to get everyone sharp.

I can't believe you shot that group at f1.8.

Maybe focus peaking convinced him that it would work just fine, which perhaps made it less risky. Maybe he also captured an image or two using a smaller aperture just to be super safe.

Wow! thank you all so much. I haven't been around for the last week, because it was another insanely busy week - Now I know how Han Solo felt when he came out of cryogenic freeze :LOL:

Regarding the group shot at 1.8, that was my first attempt at doing a group shot wide open. I had always wanted to try it after I saw a photographer have to use a 300mm f/2.8 on a team photo. The flattened perspective made the image look really cool.

Latest threads

Top Bottom