1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

An imitation Expo Disc

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by itsmike, Sep 19, 2008.

1. ?Mike?

I did an experiment with the head of my lightsphere to compare it with my Expodisc. It was close put not exact. Based on that test I would think this would be close. Probably worth a try at $8 if you are ordering other stuff as well.

2. itsmike

itsmike

Mar 2, 2008
    Greenlawn NY
    Yea, I will wait till the next order I put in.. I will post with results..

3. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    Bought one a while ago. I use it for those dimly lit gym's for shooting BBall. I personally think it is a good option for those who would not want to spend a hundred bucks on an Expo disc. Hey, for $8.00, you can't lose.

4. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    I seem to recall that someone used a lid from a Pringles can to similar effect a few years back...

5. You can also use a white coffee filter if you like.

6. SWLD

SWLD

Feb 10, 2008
    GB
    Is using the Expodisc better than using the camera's white balance system?

7. Well, you're still using the camera's WB system, you're just setting it manually instead of using Auto, or setting a specific WB point like tungsten, shade, cloudy, etc. Those modes get you close, but are not always accurate. The expodisc allows you to manually set a WB to the specific color of light that's lighting your subject. Now, if you're asking is it more convenient.... Well, that's another can of worms. With the Expodisc, every time the light changes, you have to reset your WB in order for it to remain accurate. This includes things like if your subject moves from green grass to brown dirt, or a concrete sidewalk. While the overhead light may remain nice and sunny, or cloudy, the light reflected up from the ground will change the color temp to a certain degree, and thus will require recalibration of the WB with the Expodisc if you're trying to keep perfect WB.

8. I got one of these off eBay (77mm size) disc & including delivery for under $10...
    Don't know how it compares to the Orig Expo disc, but it works great every time I've used it...
    As I really don't use it all that often, so for under $10, I didn't mind paying this small amount to try it.

9. SWLD

SWLD

Feb 10, 2008
    GB
    I've got an original Expodisc 72mm. I suppose the question is - is it more accurate than the camera's system for setting WB for a single shot or given lighting situation.

10. Then yes, from what I've read, it's more accurate. Of course, "accurate" is subjective. After all, Expodisc offers a WB lens that is a tough bluer than the original to set the camera's WB a little warmer than the original. This is good for portraits, but obviously not an absolutely correct WB setting. The expodisc is even better with studio work (provided your studio lights remain at a consistent color). Just remember to reset the WB whenever the light changes. This can be difficult to see with our eyes, because the human eye automatically corrects WB for any subtle changes in ambient color. What may register a color cast for your current WB setting may go unnoticed to your eye.

11. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Second this

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.