An impossible to please client

Discussion in 'People' started by Uncle Frank, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Sherri's a trainer at my gym, and she never likes my pictures, no matter what I do :frown:.

I've tried to contrast her personality with her physicality, but she hated the result.

She's got a great sense of humor, and I loved how this shot revealed her girly-girl side, but she hated it, too.

View attachment 105702

I had all but written her off, figuring it was a wast of time to try and please her. But then she asked if I'd take her bio picture.

"Ok", sez I, "but what can I do to make a picture you'll be happy with?"

"Easy!" she replied. "Just let me do my hair and makeup first."

View attachment 105703

View attachment 105704

View attachment 105705

And she loved every one of them :biggrin:.

2. Frank I enjoy your ongoing "color" commentary on life! When in doubt ask; when not in doubt ask also.

Thank you for reminding me of a life lesson I need to keep being reminded of!

BTW: I like #3 the best!

3. Thanks, Dan! Sherri liked #3 best, too.

4. The last one would be my favorite as well. Good job Frank.

5. Wow, cool! I thought I knew where this was going, most trainers have severe body image issues... Nothing a photo can usually do about that. Glad it worked out, looks great!

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

Frank -> lovely...and the only thing i'm addin to this is -> thank God for MaKe-Up!!!

;-)))

7. Frank,

Thanks for sharing that story ! She looks like she has tons of fun in front of the camera, yet she doesn't like the output ... weird :)

Not sure but all photographs in this thread except 2nd have hot spots and skin tones are a bit off, no ?

8. I screwed up :frown:. I meant to have hot spots in all of them :wink:.

9. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    I am not surprised she loved the last 3. :wink: The last one is superbly done.

10. Thanks, Banhup. It was the 85/1.4.

11. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    Yes! Another feather to the cap for the Cream Machine. :biggrin:

12. LOL:biggrin:

13. Hey Frank, she looks much more comfortable in this series. Great job. One suggestion, try to find some shade... :biggrin: ...the hotspots are really taking the only things bothering me about these. Everything else is great.

14. Et tu, Brute Keith? :Shocked::Dizzy::frown:

Sorry if they offend, but I don't like flat lighting in outdoor pictures. I know highlights are offensive to studio photographers, but unless the highlights are blown, they aren't a problem for me.

15. No they are not, its simply the fact that "hot spots" isnt really flattering.

If you would have a tonal graduation from the highlight area to the shadow area due to the direction of the light its one thing. But this isnt the case here, hence the name hot spots.

As i mentioned in the other thread, overpowering the ambient light would give the lightning a little more depth and not make it look as flat. It would make the bg a little darker, and also showing some direction of the light.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2007
  16. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Thanks for sharing another of your stories Frank.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm curious about your comment regarding hot spots only being a concern for studio photographers. One of the great things about a camera like your D200 is the histogram which in the case of most of these shots should have shown an unhealthy spike on the highlight side.

Good job creating photo's that your hard-to-please subject was happy with, but I can't help wondering if you wouldn't be happier as the photographer if the exposure hadn't been off?

17. Paul and Stuart, you're welcome to your opinions, but I've already resonded to this issue, so please respect my right to shoot in a manner that represents my personal vision.

And yes, Stuart, you are beating a dead horse.

18. Sure no problem. Hot spots it is then.:biggrin:

19. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    She was right. The photos of her with her makeup and hair done are much nicer. She should be happy with those!

20. Thanks, Terri. She was :smile:.