An interesting day at Leighton Moss

Leighton Moss is a bird reserve in north west England. Of course there are lots of birds to see, but many other species too (which is why I'm posting in this gallery - even though there are some birds included).
I always start at the scrapes at the coastal end of the reserve because the hides face east, so the light is best in the morning. Unfortunately there wasn't much to see there, but I spotted a nice sedge warbler from the path.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The main area is a large reedbed, with some open water and surrounding scrub and woodland. Our swifts have just returned from Africa and there were a large number hawking over the reeds and water. I couldn't resist the temptation to try a few shots: this is the best (but not very good).

I was lucky that someone pointed out this four-spotted chaser dragonfly (Libellula quadrimaculata) to me.

The hides near the entrance all face west, so I always wait until the afternoon to visit them. There weren't many birds near the Griesdale hide - but I was surprised to see red deer. I knew that some deer live in the reeds, but I had never seen any before.

View attachment 98439

A grey heron was stalking through the reeds near the next hide. Eventually it emerged.

After watching tufted ducks mating from Lilian's hide (see Collective Shoot), I was walking back when I saw this bunny rabbit in the picnic area. I suspect that he was scavenging for leftovers, but he was remarkably tame.

View attachment 98441

View attachment 98442

There's nothing very rare or spectacular in these shots, but they made for an interesting day.

Alan

Nice shots Alan, I like the bunny :)

I've been meaning to go there but i think i'll await the autumn.

I cant believe no one else posted comments?

I like the bunny :)
I've been meaning to go there but i think i'll await the autumn.
I cant believe no one else posted comments?
Thanks Paul. I'm glad someone noticed this post. I thought the bunny would get people going. I really like Leighton Moss and I recommend it for photography, provided you're willing to shoot the range of things that you can see. I'd like to get the know the whole area better as the countryside around Silverdale is beautiful.

Shooter said:
Nice shots I got to get away from this computer and start shooting more.
Thank you. I agree completely. The problem is that when you shoot more you have to spend more time on the computer sorting out the photos :smile:

Alan

mAY 31...
gRRR
gUESS THIS ONE JUST SLIPPED THROUGH THE CRACKS
gREAT VARIETY. nICE SHOTS.

Well sure I like the soft fuzzy bunny:)))))

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom