1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

An invitation to shoot a performance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Uncle Frank, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Nancy and I attended a charity dance show in 2006. I was granted permission to photograph it, and donated my pictures so they could be used at fundraising presentations. The organizer contacted me recently and invited me to photograph this year's show, which will be held next month. I was pleased to see the flier for the show features my pictures. All but the shot in the bottom right are mine.

99905943.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I visited the theater today so I could choose my shooting position. I selected seats at the center of the 10th row. Any closer, and my shooting angle would be from below the dancers' feet.

This event will be pro bono, but I'm hoping it will lead to some payjobs... maybe publicity photos for the professional dancers at the event. But even if that doesn't pan out, it will be a lot of fun. A few samples from the 2006 event...

View attachment 215604

View attachment 215605

View attachment 215606

2. Nice flyer - I particularly liked the shot in the lower right corner :biggrin:

Sorry - couldn't resist !

Congratulations, its great when the client invites you back. Repeat jobs are always the best as you work up a good rapor with the client and it all makes the job that bit more pleasurable.

I applaud you doing this "pro bono", this is exactly what Charity is about and I'd be surprised if you don't get additional work from it. Some great shots in there - high ISO and noise is always a challenge but looks like you handle it well.

3. No need to apologize. I like it, too.

Cameras are restricted in most performance venues, so this is an interesting opportunity for me. My d200 isn't highly regarded for high iso work, so it will be an interesting challenge. I just hope I can remember how I managed to get decent results back in '06.

4. Congratulations Frank ! Nice flyer, nice photos. But I can see a D700 sailing into your harbor :smile:

5. Congratulations Frank

6. Hi Frank,

Great flyer, always good to get your work around.

I take it the photos below the flyer are from last year? No data with them?

At the 10th row, what lens will you be intending to use from your collection? As you say the D200 could do with a bit more iso. If not the D700 then what about the D300?

Regards

Chris

7. The samples are from 2006. They didn't have a show in 2007. All were taken with the 85/1.4 at high iso settings.

I'll be seated much closer than I was in 2006, so I'll use the 35/2 for group shots and the 85/1.4 for tight shots of individual dancers. I'll probably bring 2 camera bodies so I won't need to change lenses.

I'm afraid I'll need to muddle by with my current gear, as this event won't provide revenue.

8. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    Wouldn't the CMOS sensor on the D700 prove better for ISO issues than the D300? I'm used to Canon's 30D and 40D and CMOS sensors. I miss that, but wanted to switch because my bosses are Nikonians. The D700 was just a BIT out of my price range and there was no way I could afford all the Nikon telephotos going full frame anyway.

9. I don't think it's a matter of CMOS vs. CCD, but rather how the sensor is integrated into the imaging system and FX vs. DX.

If the d700's performance resembles that of the d3, it would surely be the better tool for high iso work... but the d700 isn't shipping yet, and when it does, it will be at twice the price of the d300. For some of us, $3,000 is a lot of money.

10. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    Congrats, Frank. Sounds promising.

Hmm, maybe this would be a good opportunity to borrow a few hundred clicks on a friend's high iso-friendly body. :wink:
    If the images turn out really well, you might just get those paying gigs that will help fund a D700.

11. Hey Frank,

Just saw this. I don't think I'll go (even with the adjusted dress code), but you are more than welcome to borrow my D3 for the event, and even a bit ahead of time to familiarize yourself with it. I have to say that it's also a great P&S: put it in A mode, enable Auto-ISO (up to 6400!), and select your min shutter speed matching your lens. Then just point and click! :tongue::smile::biggrin:

12. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    You're a good man, Philippe. :wink:
    Even moreso for taunting Frank with point and shoot options! :biggrin:

13. Congrats Frank.
    This is very similiar to our our friend "The Dude" got started. Next thing you know, you'll be contacted by another Organization inquiring about your superb services!

14. That's an amazingly generous offer, Philippe, but I learned long ago never to borrow anything that I couldn't afford to replace. Besides, using the d3 would take all of the challenge out of it :wink:.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.