An ISO questoin

I fear I may not adequately describe my issue, but I am going to give it a shot. I purchased a D500 used with a very low shutter count. When I shooting in manual, and I change my ISO, nothing changes with the image. I do not have auto ISO set at all. Is it possible I need to send it to Nikon to have it given the once over? I am really quite unhappy with it. Firmware was updated when I got it in Feb of this year. thank you in advance for any advice.

You can look at the exif data of the images and confirm that iso changes in the image when you adjust it in the camera.
Are you saying you are leaving shutterspeed and aperture unchanged, and no matter what you set the iso to the image is unchanged. I have never heard of that happening, but what do I know.
The vast majority of times a new camera does not function properly it was something I was doing.
Check you exif data or if you don’t know how to do that take two pictures, one at correct exposure and one at a much higher iso, 4x or more. Post both of those images here and we can help more.
Gary

Welcome to the Cafe!

As Gary suggested, take two photos shot in manual exposure mode using the same shutter speed and the same aperture setting. Set one photo with ISO at 100 and the other at 400 pr higher. It doesn't even matter if neither photo is at a reasonably good exposure or reasonably sharp, as that's not what is being examined. Then post both photos here. Not only will everybody be able to see the photos but the EXIF data will also be displayed here for those of us who are subscribers (notice that everyone responding to the thread so far are subscribers).

We'll get this sorted out one way or another.

Last edited:
Keeping the shutter speed and aperture identical, repeatedly, changing the ISO ONLY for each shot, start with the lowest ISO number, working your way higher after each shutter release to maximum ISO of you camera. Take note of the image displayed on back of camera - each should be getting a little brighter in turn (ignore the digital noise in high ISO images). This will tell you camer is working ptoperly.

VARIANT OF previous "test". Starting at LOWEST ISO again, increase ISO by3 "CLIÇKS" for the next a shutter release- this is one STOP and should be doubling the brightness of the proceeding image - ISO values should also be doubling [approximately].

Three clicks should be right on one of the command dials each click increasing or decreasing Shutter or Aperture by 1/3 stop. Assuming you have set 1/3 increments rather than 1/2 stop in the menu.

I believe that this also applies when you control ISO with the command dial

AFAIK some all (?) lenses with aperture rings also click at 1/3 stop intervals

I confirmed that the three clicks equal one stop on my Z6 using the touch screen to change the the ISO value. I haven't determined whether I have one-third or one-half increments configured. Tony makes a good point that when one-half increments are configured, surely one stop is comprised of two clicks rather than three.

For every Nikon camera I have owned since the D70, the first setting I make out of the box is "3 increments to a stop" and it stays that way until I change to the next body. I never think about half-stops, and that is the reason it was never mentioned.

Last edited:
Real Name
Carl
The initial post was made 5 days ago and apparently Wendy has not revisited the forum. Perhaps she has figured it out.
Hope so...that kind of stuff cam be frustrating!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom