An old battleship

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by drueter, Aug 10, 2005.

1. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    The USS Texas was launched in 1912 and decommissioned in 1948. Saw action in both World Wars at such locations as Guadalcanal, North Africa and Normandy. It was much smaller than I expected. I've visited the USS Alabama before near Mobile, which is newer and much larger. The Texas was about 2/3 the size of the Alabama if my recollection is correct. Even at that size, it packed a lot of firepower! These shots were all taken with the D2H and 12-24 Nikor.

View attachment 13565

View attachment 13566

Close quarters for the onboard Marines -
    View attachment 13567

Can you imagine having surgery in this room??
    View attachment 13568

2. MikeG

MikeG

Apr 30, 2005
    SF Bay Area
  3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nice images, Don. I find it interesting to see what sailors deal with while serving on a ship. Definately not the place to live if you are uneasy with close quarters.

4. Wow! Those are close quarters! Not much tossing and turning there! :) Great shots!

5. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    I love these girls. Close quarters is only the half of it. Didn't have air conditioning on these. Think what our guys went through in the pacific in mid summer.

Todays military sure have got it different.

Nice shots btw

6. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Thanks for the comments everyone! One other thing I noticed while below decks was the very low head clearance. I would have killed my head trying to run to a battle station on this ship! I'm less than an inch over 6ft tall and had to duck most of the time I was walking around. I guess that shows how much taller the average person is today compared with 100 years ago when this ship was designed.

7. stm69

stm69

Aug 10, 2005
    I really like the outdoor pictures. I've always had a thing for battleships. Hard to believe that's a monument to history there, having been both at Normandy as well as Iwo Jima.

Sam

8. Thanks for sharing the story and images of this great ship.

9. JAM

JAM

Apr 30, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
  10. Great pics... Brings back fond memories of my old Navy days! (Yes, I slept in those style bunks...)