An old battleship

The USS Texas was launched in 1912 and decommissioned in 1948. Saw action in both World Wars at such locations as Guadalcanal, North Africa and Normandy. It was much smaller than I expected. I've visited the USS Alabama before near Mobile, which is newer and much larger. The Texas was about 2/3 the size of the Alabama if my recollection is correct. Even at that size, it packed a lot of firepower! These shots were all taken with the D2H and 12-24 Nikor.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 13565

View attachment 13566

Close quarters for the onboard Marines -
View attachment 13567

Can you imagine having surgery in this room??
View attachment 13568

Nice images, Don. I find it interesting to see what sailors deal with while serving on a ship. Definately not the place to live if you are uneasy with close quarters.

I love these girls. Close quarters is only the half of it. Didn't have air conditioning on these. Think what our guys went through in the pacific in mid summer.

Todays military sure have got it different.

Nice shots btw

Thanks for the comments everyone! One other thing I noticed while below decks was the very low head clearance. I would have killed my head trying to run to a battle station on this ship! I'm less than an inch over 6ft tall and had to duck most of the time I was walking around. I guess that shows how much taller the average person is today compared with 100 years ago when this ship was designed.

I really like the outdoor pictures. I've always had a thing for battleships. Hard to believe that's a monument to history there, having been both at Normandy as well as Iwo Jima.

Sam

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom