An Old Camera Shop Survives

Real Name
Andy
After meeting a friend for lunch in downtown Chicago today, I stopped by this grand old camera shop to make sure it survived the pandemic. My plan was to support them, as I have in the past, by finding an interesting old lens to buy from their vast selection. I was surprised to discover the old storefront boarded up and a new awning and temporary sign in the adjacent space. They were closed for a time, but have eased into reopening four days a week from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., according to the sign posted on the new entrance. Later I learned that the old store, which has been in this location for most of its 120-year history, was destroyed by fire last May.

I made this photo with the phone, then masked for selective color in post - a technique that I don't normally like, but it seemed right for this image.

IMG_1448-Edit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The fire was intentionally set during the riots/protests during the summer of 2020. Central Camera was my go-to place when I lived in the Chicago suburbs. Great people and pretty much the largest vintage and used gear section I’ve ever seen. I hope some of their inventory survived.

That is a shame on all accounts. Good shot though.
growin up in Houston, there were 3 camera stores that I can remember. Now we only have the one.

Real Name
Andy
Great people and pretty much the largest vintage and used gear section I’ve ever seen. I hope some of their inventory survived.
I'm looking forward to checking out their newly refurbished store (they were closed on the day I took the photo). Since most of their inventory was in glass cases, I'm holding out hope that the fire spared it.

I'll have to check it out the next time I'm in town. Where is it?
It is Houston Camera Exchange on Richmond near Fountainview (Galleria area) They have a good stock of new and used equipment. The last time I went, they were still operating in a reservation mode to comply with COVID protocols. Hopefully that has changed.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom