1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

An Osprey with the 17-55

Discussion in 'Birds' started by EdMac, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Yesterday, I took a ride through a place named Jakes Landing along the Delaware Bay. I was heading home, and my long lenses were packed away in the trunk of the car. The only lens that I had handy was my 17-55 mounted on my D200. This was just a scouting trip to see what was there. On one turn I came upon this nesting Osprey. This is the best that I could do with the short lens. Comments welcome.:smile:
    171865441-L.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. amazing for that short of lens!

3. That is terrific for a short lens

4. That'll work!! :wink:

5. Hi Dave,
    Thanks for your comments. The next time I will go prepared LOL. The 17-55 did a good job, I did have to crop a bit though.:smile:

6. Hi Gary,
    Sometimes you have to do what you have to do LOL:biggrin:

7. Hi Thomas,
    Thanks for your comments.:smile:

8. WOW, you must have been very close.

9. Hi Louie,
    Thanks much:smile:

10. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Ed -

Nice, sharp capture. I've been to Jake's Landing a bunch of times but not this year. I don't recall this nest and the wood looks very new. Is it new this year, or am I suffering another senior moment? How far away were you and how much did you crop?

Gordon

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    17-55.....Makes me smile:>)))))))
    Great image Ed.

You must have been real close.

12. Hi James,

Thanks, this nest is pretty close to the road. I was pretty close, and that doesn't happen often LOL.:smile:

13. Hi Gordon,

This site is off of Jakes Landing road, and I believe it is a newly constructed nest box. There was a nest there last fall, but it was just adjacent in the top of some dead trees. I was able to shoot from the car, and I cropped off about 1/2 of the frame. We were heading home from the trailer, so I had my lenses packed away in the trunk. I didn't want to disturb a nesting bird, so I just used the lens that I had. Thanks for your comments.:smile:

14. Hi Gale,
    I am sure that I would have gotten a much better shot with my 80-400 or my 300 f2.8, but the bird was nesting, and I didn't want to take a chance of spooking it, and losing the shot. Thanks for you comments.:biggrin:

15. Hi Ed,
    very nice capture with that setup. It works for me.

16. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Pretty amazing shot Ed. :smile:

17. Hi Dao Dang,
    Thanks, the lens worked well. Next time I will come prepared LOL.:biggrin:

18. Hi Frank,
    If I had the 300, I would have been able to count feathers LOL:biggrin: Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.