An Osprey with the 17-55

Discussion in 'Birds' started by EdMac, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Yesterday, I took a ride through a place named Jakes Landing along the Delaware Bay. I was heading home, and my long lenses were packed away in the trunk of the car. The only lens that I had handy was my 17-55 mounted on my D200. This was just a scouting trip to see what was there. On one turn I came upon this nesting Osprey. This is the best that I could do with the short lens. Comments welcome.:smile:
  2. amazing for that short of lens!
  3. That is terrific for a short lens
  4. That'll work!! :wink:
  5. Hi Dave,
    Thanks for your comments. The next time I will go prepared LOL. The 17-55 did a good job, I did have to crop a bit though.:smile:
  6. Nice capture with that setup.
  7. Hi Gary,
    Sometimes you have to do what you have to do LOL:biggrin:
  8. Hi Thomas,
    Thanks for your comments.:smile:
  9. WOW, you must have been very close.
  10. Hi Louie,
    Thanks much:smile:
  11. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Ed -

Nice, sharp capture. I've been to Jake's Landing a bunch of times but not this year. I don't recall this nest and the wood looks very new. Is it new this year, or am I suffering another senior moment? How far away were you and how much did you crop?

12. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    17-55.....Makes me smile:>)))))))
    Great image Ed.

You must have been real close.
  13. Hi James,

Thanks, this nest is pretty close to the road. I was pretty close, and that doesn't happen often LOL.:smile:
  14. Hi Gordon,

This site is off of Jakes Landing road, and I believe it is a newly constructed nest box. There was a nest there last fall, but it was just adjacent in the top of some dead trees. I was able to shoot from the car, and I cropped off about 1/2 of the frame. We were heading home from the trailer, so I had my lenses packed away in the trunk. I didn't want to disturb a nesting bird, so I just used the lens that I had. Thanks for your comments.:smile:
  15. Hi Gale,
    I am sure that I would have gotten a much better shot with my 80-400 or my 300 f2.8, but the bird was nesting, and I didn't want to take a chance of spooking it, and losing the shot. Thanks for you comments.:biggrin:
  16. Hi Ed,
    very nice capture with that setup. It works for me.
  17. Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Pretty amazing shot Ed. :smile:
  18. Hi Dao Dang,
    Thanks, the lens worked well. Next time I will come prepared LOL.:biggrin:
  19. Hi Frank,
    If I had the 300, I would have been able to count feathers LOL:biggrin: Thanks