An outing with the Tamron 90

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by jczinn, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Took out the Tamron 90 today in search of some bugs. I love this lens!

All with D100, SB80DX, handheld

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Beautiful series. The composition combined w/the intense color in the 3rd shot is wonderful. You captured "personality" in that shot....well done, Janet!

3. Awesome Janet, great work.

Martin

4. Very colorful and sharp 1-4-5-6 are the one I like the most.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hey Lady,
    Long time no see.. Missed you.
    Italy was a beautiful trip. Thank you for the journey. Wonderful images.

You sure have some really unusual colorful bugs.

I like your presenttions. The natural surrounds look great instead of in my face fly eye...lolol Just my likes Janet ...

Very wel done and beautiful images.

Thank You for sharing.....

6. Spectacular work, Janet! You inspire me to put my new 60mm micro to work! :) Thanks for sharing these!

7. Thanks everyone!

Gale, I've been around; just lurking mostly...its been a busy few weeks, my office moved, and in my new cubicle I am right in the line of sight of everyone going to and from the restrooms!! So its harder to sneak looks at the forum from work Grrrrr!

8. Very nice, Janet!

Excellent depth of field control. I especially like #1.

Now you've got me researching that lens! I can see why you like it.

Thanks for sharing.

9. WOW!!! Janet, you really got my attention. Fantastic pics. I'm impressed with your Tamron 90. I may take a look into one. Thanks for sharing.
    Pete

10. Hi Janet,

These are really nice! Wish I could capture sharp macro images like these, and well exposed.

What settings do you use for the flash, e.g. compensation, etc.?

Regards,
    Jonathan

11. thanks Jonathan. for the flash, I usually set the flash comp to between -.5 and -1.5, it really depends on the results I'm getting at the time; luckily these bugs were cooperative enough to let me adjust when necessary. i've been setting the flash comp on the flash itself, but I think I am going to start setting it on the camera so that it will appear in the EXIF. The way I'm doing it now I never can know for sure what I've used!

12. *Very* impressive shots! Great color, sharpness and composition.

I love my Tamron 90 also, but I've got a long way to go to get to your level.

Thanks for sharing these.

catalyst

13. Great shots Janet! I had the chance to try this lens shortly. It really delivers awesome results - if it just hadn't that plastic-like build.

Among your pics I like the colors of #3 and #4 most (milk-weed beetle - Tetraopes femoratus).

Cheers

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Janet,

If it were me, I'd try to figure a different angle for my monitor. I'd have a hard time not looking at the Cafe all day long. 8) :lol: :p :D

Very nice series. :wink:

15. Janet very nice the I have herad great things about this lens, and I like the longer focal length than the Nikon 60mm

16. Excellent series Janet. Looks like a great lens to me

17. GreenCoal

GreenCoal Guest

Love yr technique, Janet! The colors and DOF caught my attention!

OT - hope you don't mind - but I was wondering if you have used the Tamron 90 for people portraits and if so, what's yr opinion?

I asked because I am deciding which to buy -- Nikon 85mm f/1.4D or the Tamron 90 (love to shoot both macro and portraiture).

I know each has its purpose, but hey, I wish to keep my bag weight down to lowest possible when I travel. My inclination is to go for the Nikon and try a macro rev ring with it to see how it performs for macro work.

But yr experience may tilt my decision in favor of the Tamron. :D

Thanks for sharing.

ps -- help! this may be the wrong section for this sort of question!

18. A friend of mine, Joachim Gerstl (who occasionally posts over at DPR) has used the Tamron very successfully as a portrait lens. It is very sharp and also has a very nice bokeh. So if you want to save money and have a multi-purpose lens I would go for the Tamron - although I wouldn't part with my 85/1.4 for (almost) anything in the world.

hope this helps in making your decision

19. Janet,

Your images are inspiring and awesome! :D I especially like the lighting and composition.

I have a brand new Tamron 180 macro lens sitting on a shelf in the box. Your images inspire me to give it one more try... :wink:

20. GreenCoal

GreenCoal Guest

Thanks, Harry, for your input. Appreciate it very much. Will check out your friend Joachim's posts as soon as DPR search function is online again..

Thanks for confirming my suspicion that Tamron 90 can indeed hold its own for portraits.

Now, let's see if anyone else can confirm the Nikkor 85 can handle macro as well too.

:D