Anchorage, AK

So my wife and I will be in Anchorage, AK between 4/29 - 5/4. I'm looking for specific photography location suggestions (glaciers, wildlife, landscape, auroa borealis, etc [but frankly this is probably once in a lifetime so I'll shoot damn near anything]) within a 2-3 hour drive or so. Also, we're not adverse to hiking easy-moderate trails to get to nice locations.

Thanks!

It's more than your 2-3 hr time limit but Denali National Park & If the weather gods are with you Denali the mountain are both unbelievable. Also, Seward Highway south out of Anchorage is a nice ride with many photo ops along the way.

It's more than your 2-3 hr time limit but Denali National Park & If the weather gods are with you Denali the mountain are both unbelievable. Also, Seward Highway south out of Anchorage is a nice ride with many photo ops along the way.
Can you tell me more about the Denali area? My wife and I had discussed the possibility of heading up there and getting a room if there was enough to do to warrant it.

Can you tell me more about the Denali area? My wife and I had discussed the possibility of heading up there and getting a room if there was enough to do to warrant it.
Your time frame is a bit early for Denali. You can check on line but unless something has changed the hotels don't open until mid-May. The road into the park won't likely be clear yet. There are a few spots in the hills above town where you can get some pretty nice shots of "the mountain" albeit long range and not the iconic shots of it. Similarly for most of the hiking trails around Anchorage will still have a lot of snow/ice and boots and some sort of crampons are recommended. There is an REI store in town where you can rent all sorts of gear. When I get a few minutes I'll post a few suggestions.

We were there in July 2019 and stayed at a place called Denali Park Village https://www.denaliparkvillage.com. It was nice, clean and comfortable beds. Denali National Park was a short bus ride away. The park is a treasure trove of wildlife, landscapes, hiking trails and views. The town of Denali isn't much. It's really all about the park. However, like drr1531 said, Denali may not be accessible during your time frame. Sorry but I didn't notice the dates of your trip when I posted about Denali.

Last edited:
Denali won't be open. There is a lot of snow this year, and we typically get snow in April and early May. I live two miles from the park boundary, but about 45 miles south of the road into the park. They will probably have the first 10 miles of the road open. There is a serious landslide at mile 45 which may keep the road closed much of next summer. It has fallen 12 feet or so since last summer when it averaged about 2 inches a week. The entire road is sliding downhill, and they are exploring options to reroute the road. Girdwood to the south has glaciers close to the road. If you take the road towards Whittier, you can go through a tunnel, and then be in a very pretty valley with glaciers. The first tunnel is free, you have to pay to go on to Whittier. Also there is a nice visitor center but it won't open until Memorial Day. Talkeetna is a couple hours north of Anchorage. Denali would be almost 5 hours, and there may not be many places open where you can stay or eat.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom