Ancient Grave Sites

This grave site is found between Mysinge and Gettlinge on the Island of Oland in Sweden. The site actually stretches out for several miles on the ridge seperating the two towns. These graves date from the Stone Age.

47269357.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Very interesting Gil. I kind of got a laugh out of your comment about the grave site dating to the stone age. I guess it struck me funny because of the stones marking the site. :D :D

SRA

Nice image, I have run into these stone formations in middle and northern England. I couldn't tell if they were religious sites, burial grounds, or market centers.

gmaker1 said:
These graves date from the Stone Age.

47269357.gif

Is it a ship burial? Do the stones mare the outline of a ship?

Robin:

The stones do make an outline of a ship, but only bodies are burried there. For some reason, the Vikings used this motif for burial grounds.

Gil

gmaker1 said:
Robin:

The stones do make an outline of a ship, but only bodies are burried there. For some reason, the Vikings used this motif for burial grounds.

Gil

That looks like a stone "circle" burial henge. They wouldn't be "viking" since they came in after 700 AD well past the stone age. Perhaps the two larger stones are oriented east-west or along with the rising/setting sun at, say summer/winter solstice vernal/autumnal equinox.

Stone circles are common in Ireland, Scotland and England. I hadn't seen any circles in Wales, but I would suppose they are there too.

Rich

Very interesting, Gil.
I took this picture of a "hunebed" during my vacation in Holland. There are a number of them in the northeast of that country, dating back to the same era. These burial sites were used repeatedly sometimes over a period of several hundred years. They are about 5000 (!) years old and there are about 53 of them in a radius of 40 km or so (in various states of conservation).

Frits

47774619.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom