1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

And... another opinion question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShaunK, Apr 2, 2007.

1. I have my first wedding coming up this summer. I currently shoot with a D70s. I have the long end covered with my 70-200 VR, but on the short end, i have the 18-70. Now, by the time the wedding rolls around, unless something amazing happens, I will have to make a choice: either a 17-55 2.8 to replace the 18-70, or a D200 body. I can't have both. Which choice would you make for a wedding that will be mainly in a church, in the evening? Thanks for your opinions! :smile:

2. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
    I'd get the glass. The 2.8 will be helpful in the church, especially if you can't use flash. I think you'll see more difference in the pictures between the 17-55 and the 18-70 than you will between the D70s and the D200. Just my opinion...

3. Thanks, Dave... that's what I was leaning toward... the only problem is that I was also already considering a back-up body, and had been wanting a D200 anyway... we'll see! :smile:

4. Why not consider 17-50 Tamron and D80?

5. You know, i used to consider the "other" lenses, but the more I get into photography long-term, the more I look at my purchases at investments... therefore, I think the better route is to buy mostly Nikon... they hold their value better... I know i have to scrimp and save more for them, but maybe that's what makes obtaining them all the sweeter... as to the D80, I'm ready to upgrade to the next level camera, at least the D200 or equivalent, and if I can , I'd like to even entertain the possiblity of a D2x(s) in the next year or so... the D80 is a great camera, so I hear, but I will actaully need more :smile:

6. Shaun, I can't urge you enough to make sure you have a back-up camera.

I would also suggest that you try and have two identical cameras (at least on the controls side), you will be immersed into a situation where the last thing you should be trying to remember is which camera you are currently using.

Second, I would make sure that you have lots of memory cards, and to change them frequently.

Good luck,

Paul

7. fair enough. I'd go backup camera.

8. Thanks, Paul... I do have a back-up. three actually! :smile: I have another D70s (which my brother will be shooting), and F/N65 loaded with B&W film and my 50 1.4, and if all that fails, the bride's father, a good friend, will have his D200 there as well. So I think for now the back-up thing is covered! :biggrin: However, that is the reason why I started contemplating getting the D200, I would like my OWN back-up digital eventually, but I guess I need to wait and see if this is truly the direction I want to go (ie, weddings and the need for a 2nd fulltime body.)

9. The D80 would do you better for High ISO performance than the D200 though. Funny how differently I would do it.

Do you think you would need the wide angle 17-28 region much for a wedding? You could always get a 28-70. I guess your stuck on the Nikon only camp, but the Tamron 28-75 is much better than its price suggests. I've shot a few weddings and the 50mm f1.8 is My most usefull lens (anything in the f1.4-1.8 range really) Not as good for group shots as the DOF almost guaruntees someone out of focus.

10. I do agree that the 28-70 is a fantastic lens, one of Nikon's best. But i have also heard, that at least on a DSLR, it is a bit long... It is easier even with only 6 MP to crop as zoom than it is to back up, hence, my desire for more wide angle than the 28-70, plus the 17-55 is that much cheaper, yet still a fantastic lens. I am not too worried at this point, for this wedding, about my ISO. I have shot in this church (it's the one I attend) at night several times, and with my ISO at 400, flash, and a 2.8 or better lens, I am just fine... no problems at all... shooting in the 1/60th to 1/125th range. If, at some point i need better ISO, I might even go the D50 route :smile: cheap, small, easy to use.

11. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Backup body...maybe a D50 for low ISO. You need a back up body, end of story. If your camera fails...your first wedding will likely be your last.

If you can borrow a body from someone as a backup, I reccomend the 17-55mm 2.8 if you can afford it, or buy the Sigma 24-60mm 2.8 which is very sharp...I used to own one.

Just read your other post about having the backup covered....so....

Buy the good glass.... you'll really enjoy it. Do you own/use a flash bracket? A better flash bracket system has made all of the difference in my event photos. Perhaps consider additional power for your flash like a Quantum Turbo or SD-8a.

12. Thanks for chiming in, Joshua. I do have a flash bracket, but don't care for it, it's a Stroboframe, one of their better? ones, but I don't like to use it, awkward, and tilts the camera the opposite way than I like, plus the flash gets turned sideways, which I don't like either... maybe will look into getting a different one... any suggestions? I do have about 5 sets of great Energizer rechargable 2500 MaH batteries for the SB-800, 3 sets for full use and two for the 5th battery, is that good enough? :smile:

13. The 17-55mm lens is my most used lens for weddings that I have shot. It is a perfect focal length as far as I am concerned.

14. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

I have only previously had experience with a CB JR. I like to use flash modifiers on my flash, to soften the light, so using a piece of craft foam on the head always left the head positioned improperly when the flash was moved from horizontal to vertical position.

I solved my issues by buying a Joe Demb flash Bracket. Best $80 I've spent. I love my bracket, its lightweight and non-intrusive. Google Joe Demb, and check out his brackets....they really work well.

ThE thing about the flash, in my experience, is that while firing off bursts, invariably, my fav shot is ruined and underexposed because the flash had not recycled fast enough....so its pays to be light on the trigger finger to let the flash repower itself. I've done plenty with just alkalines, and just got the SD-8a...but I can tell you that shooting my dog in the backyard with flash, the SD-8a did its job...it was fantastic.

Joe Dembs bracket Site

15. Ok, am bookmarking this for later consultation. Thanks!!!

16. Shaun, I'm glad to see that you had already realized the importance of having back-up equipment, and have planned accordingly.

I think the 17-55 would suffice for nearly all of your needs, and your 70-200 would take care of the balance, the close-ups.

There is not a lot to the technical side of being a wedding photographer, I would say 10 - 15%. The bulk of your 'skill' will lie in your ability to manage many people and groups, able to work quickly while being somewhat firm and yet sensitive.

Plan your formal poses ahead of time. If you are not familiar with the location, then visit (preferable at the same time of day as the wedding) the site and build your shots quietly in your mind. Make a list of all the required core photos that must be taken, and keep it in your pocket to review and check-off as the day progresses.

Remember, this will be the bride's big day and she (and possible the immediate family) will show nerves. It is important to show that you are calm and know exactly what is needed, and direct accordingly.

Regard,

Paul

17. Thanks, Paul... part of my nature is to plan well ahead... maybe that's why I married a wife who does everything last minute, gives me balance :smile: Anyway, I have already read several books on shooting weddings, I have met with the couple and given them a picture checklist that they will return to me about a month before the wedding, and we went over some example pictures with them so I could get a sense of the style they like, ie, formal vs. PJ styles, and they like the formal better... As for manageing people, I am a teacher, and have been managing dozens of young people for six hours a day for 8 years, does that qualify me??? :biggrin: Yes, I do love to work with others, so I think that will be a benefit... also, I have a line on a summer job with a local photographer, so if all goes well, I will also have firsthand experience before I actually do the wedding. So, I guess I will do with the 17-55 lens over the body... thanks to all who replied and gave suggestions! I really appreciate this great little community we have here at the Cafe! :smile:

18. Shaun, I think you have everything covered for a successful day.

Enjoy,

Paul

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.