And my wife Hanusia's way of occupying her time while sequestered at home:

It's her passion. This egg is in production - you can see the globules of wax that will eventually be melted away once all the design elements and successive dies are completed.

pysanka  production 4859.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Excellent photo to show the intricate detail and skill required to create such beautiful eggs! I admire her for keeping such wonderful traditions alive!

Very enjoyable and informative photo!

you can see the globules of wax that will eventually be melted away once all the design elements and successive dies are completed.

I actually don't detect the wax. Perhaps show us a portion of the image displayed at 100% of the full-size image and add a red arrow or something to it that indicates what we should look for.

What process does she use for melting and then collecting the wax so it doesn't ruin anything?

This stuff is just too fascinating not to fully comprehend.

That is incredible work. Great picture.
Thanks Walt.er. From both of us
Excellent photo to show the intricate detail and skill required to create such beautiful eggs! I admire her for keeping such wonderful traditions alive!
s
I will pass on your kind words to my wife Hanusia.
I believe I've said this before, a sure sign of spring, and a most welcome one. Such patience. Such skill. Such dedication.
It is time of year again for sure. Some very kind words here Nick. My wife appreciates them very much.

Very enjoyable and informative photo!
I actually don't detect the wax. Perhaps show us a portion of the image displayed at 100% of the full-size image and add a red arrow or something to it that indicates what we should look for.

What process does she use for melting and then collecting the wax so it doesn't ruin anything?

This stuff is just too fascinating not to fully comprehend.
Here's a major crop showing the globules of wax
pysanka  production 4859 cropped.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And to be entirely accurate. She actually writes with the wax. First on a white egg -then dips the egg is yellow dye and writes a design on the yellow dyed egg - so when all is melted the design she wrote/waxed on the yellow dyed egg will come out yellow. And so on in successively darker dyes -orange then red the black ( optional). The finished product is then put on a paper towel in the oven at 200 degrees until the wax just melts and is then wiped off. Some writers chose to varnish their eggs to seal the egg if it hasn't been blown out and hardens the shell.
Here's a link to the process
https://alterego.smugmug.com/Arts-and-Crafts/Pysanky-Ukrainian-Easter-Eggs/

I'm watching a show on Spokane Public TV right now about a woman in Calgary who is an Ukrainian egg artist. WOW, seeing it done is amazing, and the music , too. some eggs take 30+ hours of work.

Real Name
Dan
I recall you posting some of your wife's eggs before. They are absolutely works of art.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
You know I wait all year just to see these photos and I see your wife is on a roll, once again! Outstanding design and creativity! Please give my best to her, and tell her that her work is just beautiful!

You know I wait all year just to see these photos and I see your wife is on a roll, once again! Outstanding design and creativity! Please give my best to her, and tell her that her work is just beautiful!
HI LyndeeLoo, this is Hanusia. Thanks very much for your enthusiastic appreciation. This is a craft that is part of our cultural tradition, so it is a pleasure to keep it alive. In fact there is a legend that evil cannot prevail as long as one person is still making pysanka. Just doin' my part...... If you are ever in Thunder Bay, let's arrange a visit and a live demo if you like. All the best. HT

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
HI LyndeeLoo, this is Hanusia. Thanks very much for your enthusiastic appreciation. This is a craft that is part of our cultural tradition, so it is a pleasure to keep it alive. In fact there is a legend that evil cannot prevail as long as one person is still making pysanka. Just doin' my part...... If you are ever in Thunder Bay, let's arrange a visit and a live demo if you like. All the best. HT
Thank you so much for the invitation, Hanusia! I would be most honored to visit one day! :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom