And now for my next noob question

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by bill-e, Aug 17, 2008.

1. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Hi folks,

I think I understand a little about the histogram as far as one wanting the curve to begin and end at the base line but other than that, what do I use it for? Am I supposed to try to adjust it somehow or is it strictly an indication of how well exposed my shot is?

2. It is a graphical representation of where the color lies in your photo. Right is light and left is dark. If it's pinned up against a wall, you've either under- or over-exposed.

Theoretically, the perfect exposure will have a nice hump on thecenter line, without edges touching the sides. However, certain situations (ie shooting against a really bright or dark background) may be represented as over- or under-exposed by the histogram, when in fact they're not. You'll have a spike pinned up against the side, and then a second spike somewhere else in the photo. The other spike is the one to worry about (and hopefully its centered, or nearly so).

You can use the search function, up in the top row of the forum. Click on advanced, and then go over to the left. Type in 'histogram' and select "Title only" from the drop down box. Should pull up several extensive discussions. :smile:

3. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Thanks all

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.