And now to something completely different

from the dragonflies I use to post. So many great shots here lately that I would post something else.

How about some Robber flies?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

or Scorpion flies?

or a happy hopper meal (I think)

Ok. It won't hurt to post one Libellula quadrimaculata shot.

Torben,
Great shots... ugly flies. Those scorpion flies are a little scary looking, I have never seen them before. Beautiful Libellula...

Ha haa, the L. quadrimaculata saved this post! :tongue:

By saying you´re posting something different I thought potatoes or something...

No really, robbers will do, (you know, especially) scorpions will do as long as they´re shot as excellent as these...

By the way, about the "happy hopper meal" shot, could it be that the hopper is getting rid of its "old skin" as it looks like one of those "spike-tailed" hoppers and there´s similar spike to be seen on the skin... and I think they aren´t meat eaters...

Torben,
Great shots... ugly flies. Those scorpion flies are a little scary looking, I have never seen them before. Beautiful Libellula...
Thanks Paul. I find the robber fly very fascinating. I watched this guy for a while. He was on the lookout for prey and suddenly attacks another flying insect. Most of the times he fails and returns to his lookout spot. I call him the Schwarzenegger fly.

Amazing shots, Torben. I like the Scorpion flies. I have never seen anything like that. Thanks for another excellent series.
Thanks Tom. I always appreciate your comments.

Ha haa, the L. quadrimaculata saved this post! :tongue:

By saying you´re posting something different I thought potatoes or something...

No really, robbers will do, (you know, especially) scorpions will do as long as they´re shot as excellent as these...

By the way, about the "happy hopper meal" shot, could it be that the hopper is getting rid of its "old skin" as it looks like one of those "spike-tailed" hoppers and there´s similar spike to be seen on the skin... and I think they aren´t meat eaters...
Tak Jukka. I think you maybe right about the hopper. I better ask on our the experts on hoppers on our nature forum.

your work is simply the best
pls share the setup
are these on a tripod ?
how do you fire the shutter ?
Sorry I didn't post my settings. I was too much in a hurry. The shots are all with the D300 and the 300mm f.4 AF-S. I used two Kenko tubes (36mm + 12mm) for the flies and the hopper. No tubes for the dragonfly. I have the Kirk collar on the 300mm and all shot on tripod, mirror lock up and release cable. Thanks for reminding me and for your comment Randy.

Well, Torben, if they come in such a pictorial quality, then I have nothing against any sort of flies :biggrin:

Cheers
Thanks Harry. Some flies are nicer than others.

C

CAClark

Used to see Scorpion Flies all the time, but haven't seen them for a long time now. Wicked set of shots.

Cheers!

Thanks Paul. I find the robber fly very fascinating. I watched this guy for a while. He was on the lookout for prey and suddenly attacks another flying insect. Most of the times he fails and returns to his lookout spot. I call him the Schwarzenegger fly.

Thanks Tom. I always appreciate your comments.

Tak Jukka. I think you maybe right about the hopper. I better ask on our the experts on hoppers on our nature forum.

Sorry I didn't post my settings. I was too much in a hurry. The shots are all with the D300 and the 300mm f.4 AF-S. I used two Kenko tubes (36mm + 12mm) for the flies and the hopper. No tubes for the dragonfly. I have the Kirk collar on the 300mm and all shot on tripod, mirror lock up and release cable. Thanks for reminding me and for your comment Randy.

Thanks Harry. Some flies are nicer than others.
do the Kenko tubes AF w/ AFS lenses ?

Now that this thread has made it to first page again I might as well show another shot of the Scorpion fly.

or Scorpion flies?
Very nice indeed but what do you know about them?

Well you have a female and a male, but when it comes to mating the female is a bad tempered *****. So the male has a trick up its' sleeve. He excludes a small amount of a very sugary substance on to the leaf, and the female who just LOVES sweet things, begins to sup it up. While she is absorbed it this activity,the male jumps her and gives her a large portion.:eek::eek::eek:

I have tried this with a box of Lindt Chocolates, but it did not work.:biggrin:

Who said that this section did not have a wealth of relvent information.:cool:

BW. Bob F.

I've heard that flowers have a better effect. :wink:

And if it doesn't work you can always shoot them with your camera instead. :rolleyes:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom