1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

And now to something completely different

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by tojor, Jun 30, 2008.

1. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    from the dragonflies I use to post. So many great shots here lately that I would post something else.

How about some Robber flies?

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    300mm    f/10.0    1/40s    ISO 250

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    300mm    f/8.0    1/160s    ISO 250

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    300mm    f/10.0    1/200s    ISO 250

or Scorpion flies?

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    300mm    f/8.0    1/100s    ISO 250

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    300mm    f/7.1    1/200s    ISO 400

or a happy hopper meal (I think)

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    300mm    f/10.0    1/60s    ISO 250

Ok. It won't hurt to post one Libellula quadrimaculata shot.

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    300mm    f/9.0    1/200s    ISO 250

2. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Torben,
    Great shots... ugly flies. Those scorpion flies are a little scary looking, I have never seen them before. Beautiful Libellula...

3. Amazing shots, Torben. I like the Scorpion flies. I have never seen anything like that. Thanks for another excellent series.

4. Ha haa, the L. quadrimaculata saved this post! :tongue:

By saying you´re posting something different I thought potatoes or something...

No really, robbers will do, (you know, especially) scorpions will do as long as they´re shot as excellent as these...

By the way, about the "happy hopper meal" shot, could it be that the hopper is getting rid of its "old skin" as it looks like one of those "spike-tailed" hoppers and there´s similar spike to be seen on the skin... and I think they aren´t meat eaters...

5. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    your work is simply the best
    pls share the setup
    are these on a tripod ?
    how do you fire the shutter ?

6. Well, Torben, if they come in such a pictorial quality, then I have nothing against any sort of flies :biggrin:

Cheers

7. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks Paul. I find the robber fly very fascinating. I watched this guy for a while. He was on the lookout for prey and suddenly attacks another flying insect. Most of the times he fails and returns to his lookout spot. I call him the Schwarzenegger fly.

Thanks Tom. I always appreciate your comments.

Tak Jukka. I think you maybe right about the hopper. I better ask on our the experts on hoppers on our nature forum.

Sorry I didn't post my settings. I was too much in a hurry. The shots are all with the D300 and the 300mm f.4 AF-S. I used two Kenko tubes (36mm + 12mm) for the flies and the hopper. No tubes for the dragonfly. I have the Kirk collar on the 300mm and all shot on tripod, mirror lock up and release cable. Thanks for reminding me and for your comment Randy.

Thanks Harry. Some flies are nicer than others.

8. CAClark

CAClark Guest

Used to see Scorpion Flies all the time, but haven't seen them for a long time now. Wicked set of shots.

Cheers!

9. Torben
    those shots are fantastic
    very well done

10. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks Craig. I rarely see them as well but at this particular spot there were several.

Thanks Greg. Very nice of you to comment.

11. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    do the Kenko tubes AF w/ AFS lenses ?

12. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Yes they do. Both autofocus and autometering works with the tubes. I usually only use one or sometimes two tubes at a time. With all 3 tubes there is too much play.

13. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Now that this thread has made it to first page again I might as well show another shot of the Scorpion fly.

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    300mm    f/7.1    1/400s    ISO 400

14. quyd300

quyd300

Apr 3, 2008
    Houston
    I like #1 and #2. Very interesting bugs!

15. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
    Scorpion fly shots are just stunning. Very well done.

16. Very nice indeed but what do you know about them?

Well you have a female and a male, but when it comes to mating the female is a bad tempered *****. So the male has a trick up its' sleeve. He excludes a small amount of a very sugary substance on to the leaf, and the female who just LOVES sweet things, begins to sup it up. While she is absorbed it this activity,the male jumps her and gives her a large portion.:eek: :eek: :eek: 

I have tried this with a box of Lindt Chocolates, but it did not work.:biggrin:

Who said that this section did not have a wealth of relvent information.:cool: 

BW. Bob F.

17. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    I've heard that flowers have a better effect. :wink:

And if it doesn't work you can always shoot them with your camera instead. :rolleyes: 

18. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks Quy. I was looking for the robberfly with prey. Only got one blurred shot before he took off. Didn't want to share apparently.

Thanks a lot. They are very odd looking insects.

19. Gary Mayo

Gary Mayo Guest

Your friends are really ugly! lol

Great Captures!

20. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks Gary. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, you know. :biggrin: To them I was probably some scary looking old geezer. :eek: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.