And some more Eagles....;-)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Here are some of the shots that I got of the male Eagle from last Friday (the other series was of the female). It was very near sunset, so they are a little on the dark side, but that's the way they really looked. :rolleyes:

I was actually shooting some small song birds when this guy landed, so I missed the approach. Here's the touch down:

[​IMG]

Posing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Taking flight (wish that he was facing the sun, but....):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll probably go back over tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll get lucky again. :smile:

2. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Great shots Frank...

3. Great shots again Frank. These look really good. Just wondering, how can you tell the female from the male? I know the females are bigger but how else can you tell?

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jim,

The only way that I can tell is by the size. We have seen this pair a number of times over the last two mating seasons, so I can sort of tell. Probably missed it a few times, but she is so much bigger that it is usually fairly easy.

Thanks for the kind words. :smile:

5. Very nice shots Frank!!! I'm also curious as to how you can tell their sex. When they're nesting I always assume that the one on the nest is the female, but I could be wrong.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dennis,

They actually swap on the nest about every two hours while they are incubating the eggs. One usually stays on the nest once the eggs hatch, but they still alternate.

7. Thanks, Frank. I wasn't sure about that. Next spring I hope to get some shots at the nest I went to last year. They seem to come back to the same nest every year. I just don't like getting too close because they are easily disturbed.

8. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Again, very beautiful shots Frank..

9. Very cool looks like you have your won version of the tree

10. Frank, Nice photos! Were these shot in the wild?

Anthony

11. Johntu

Johntu

Jul 4, 2005
    Fremont, CA
    Awesome shots, Frank :)

12. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    Very Nice Frank. The light is always difficult when shooting eagles it seems. But you got great shots here!
    I might make a trek up to Viera this early evening to see if anything is happening.

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Fantastic FLEWWWWWWWWW

2.8 in those conditions has to help alot :>)) (with-out tc that is) Can't wait :>)))

Fantastic images Frank ..Well done.

14. Hi frank very impressive what lens camera combination did you use, perhaps one day I may decide to visit America again just to get some images of this species and possibly whooping crane.

Phillip.

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for the comments folks.

Anthony Definitely in the wild. This guy is one half of approximately 55 mating Eagle pairs that have been identified in Alabama.

Phillip We would love for you to come visit any time. Just let us know when you can come. :smile:

16. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Great Frank just Great!!!

Don't concern yourself with the fact that you and others here have made me look beyond rock and now I must find a CAVE!!! :biggrin: :rolleyes: :biggrin:

17. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Yeah, right Ben. I'm just trying to stay in the same universe as you guys. :wink:

18. Excellent shots Frank. The 1st image, coming in for a landing shot is my favorite.

Louie

19. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Frank - your eagle shot seem to be getting better and better.