And the D100 ?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by PJohnP, Aug 24, 2005.

1. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    So. I guess the D100 is now officially chopped liver since it has no sub-forum...

2. Yea... Boooooo!
    I sold my D100 to get a D2x and I'm sorry I did.
    We want a D100 forum

Woody

3. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Will this be acceptable? Combining it with the D70 forum?

4. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Chuckle. That's perfectly fine, Patrick.

I was just pulling your leg(s) on missing the great grandpa in this field... :biggrin:

John P.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Are you kidding!!! Sticking us very serious D100 shooters in with the D70 rank tyros!?!?!?

Oh wait, there are some pretty decent D70 (and s, and D50) shooters out there. This is fine. :BlueHair:

6. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Chris :

Just remember - we have fully functional vertical grips with our D100s. What's iTTL and 1/500s flash sync speed compared with that ? :Tongue: :Swirl: :Tongue: :Crunk: :Crunk:

John P.

7. xaviermacau

xaviermacau

May 9, 2005
    Macau
    D100 forum

I am proud to own a D100. It's a nice camera. I feel that D100 has it's own distinctive features; To group it in D70(s), D50, may lead people to think it depreciative. I think it should be grouped with D200 to be anounced next month? Why not wait a little more?

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    :smile: Fond of my D100... It stands alone for greatness :>)))

Cheers

9. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

That is the one thing that I wish I had on my D70's. But iTTL and 1/500 flash sync rules! :smile:

10. I vote for a separate forum for D100 users. It's a unique camera with featrures and issues completely different from the D70 / 50.

Separate forum please.

Woody

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I claim it's the cable release socket that makes the D100 just plain better! :wink:

12. D200/D100 forum, separate from d70

13. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Nah - I welcome our association with the rank ty... frugal pros here! ;)

14. I just (came yesterday!) got myself a 2 month old used D100 as a backup to my D2X, with the MB-D100 Grip and an 18-70 kit lens to keep on as general lens when the family uses it on their outings.

I started out in my DSLR ventures with a D100 sold it for the D2H, then sold the D2H for the D2X. I have forgotten how nice a camera the D100 is, controls feels just right in my hand, it has great high ISO performance, a bit slow writing compressed NEF's to the cards....

To celebrate I went out last night and shot these:

View attachment 14351

View attachment 14352

To bad it is just an old outdated camera type, I can't possibly be getting anything decent out of this one!

If they can stand us I don't mind being part of the D70/50 club, they shoudl be ready for the onslaught of great stuff though, and be prepared to defend their honor (until the last picture...)

15. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Don't forget the mirror pre-release (or whatever it's called). Wish I had it on my D70. Doesn't it write also full NEFs, not only the compressed ones?

16. I have a D2x also but think of the D100 the same as I do film... it has a different "look". There's just something magical about the camera, and I'm sorry I sold mine.

Luckily, I've found a mint one for a very good price which I will buy and add the vertical grip.

I have this strange feeling that the day will come when photographers will covet certain digital cameras because of the image they produce and I'm convinced that the D100 will be among the most desired. Yea, the auto focus can be balky and the buffer might be small but oh what a glorious capture!

Woody

17. Ugh, chopped liver! :frown: Maybe more like a fine vintage wine? :smile:

It makes as good as sense as anything else to group all the bodies using the 6mp sensor together, not sure about the D50, but I have found quite a few simlarities between the D100 and D70.

I am approaching 13,000 exposures with my D100 and for the most part find that it does everything I have ever asked of it. If I could change anything I would like it to focus faster, especially with my 200-400 when I use a teleconverter.

I also would like a larger buffer. I have been picking up some aerial photography assignments and have quickly found the buffer to be a major limitation, my solution has been to borrow my good friend's D2H for all my aerial work - plus I can get 595 NEF exposures on a 2 GB card! :biggrin:

I know it is sacreligous, but I really haven't given much thought to replacing it, my priorities have been investing in glass first, which I am almost finished with. (still looking at the 10.5 DX and possibly a 28-70 and maybe a 70-180 macro arrrgh!) now I am looking at pulling together the equipment for a small studio for still life and product photography. Will this need for equipment ever end?

I may feel inspired by the D200, who knows...:wink:

18. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Conrad :

Heh. Well, I've shot a multiple of your throughput on the D100, and I'm not about to give it up. It's been a genuine workhorse for me, reliably shooting in some of the more extreme conditions that one can take a camera into (e.g., chemical plants, boilerhouses, mines).

Would I consider another body ? Sure - I'm not dead yet - but I don't have a burning desire to just keep switching bodies. Like you, I've been adding quality glass to the collection, and I'm not quite ready to just drop $5K on a D2X body.

Yet. :cool:

John P.

P.S. And a great chopped liver sandwich is unmatched ! I won't turn down a nice glass of wine, either. Perhaps a glass or four of chilled King Estates Pinot Gris ?

19. You're right it is like a different film. I went down to the lake with both the D2X and the D100 and with the same lens/ settings/raw, it came out dramatically different. The D100 shot was darker and more contrasty with very vivid reds and the D2x shot was more balanced more detail more orangy colors (truer to life)

However the D100 sunset shot looks better to my eye afterwards.

I'm so glad I got the D100 again...