... and the fish was THIS big... Honest, guys!!!

Discussion in 'Birds' started by TOLady, May 9, 2005.

1. You should have seen how big it was...

And before anyone slams me for cutting the tips of his wings off, there is nothing like waving a big lens around (70-200VR) in a kayak with a breeze blowing you sideways and these guys dive-bombing you so they can drop some white cr@p onto the end of your lens! *LOL* I did the best I could!
    original.
    original.

2. ...and you did excellent Sandi!!! 8)
    Very strong image, I've always wondered why you carry that bazooka in your kayak... now I know! Wonderful lighting and contrast! :D

Now, about that wings... :? :wink:

3. Thanks Panos, you should have heard my language when I saw the shot and then saw the wings and tail!!! The air was blue! *LOL* Oh well, I have a whole season to get it right but man oh man, these birds are fast!!!

4. WHOA!! Coming right at you!! Nice shots Sandi!! :D :D :D

5. Now that I've seen your second shot, I think I found the problem...
    It's the viewfinder... :lol:

6. Naw, it's the paddler on the other end of the camera!! *LOL* You take what you can get with a bunch of birds like this and a heavy lens over your head.

7. Ohhhhhhh now I got it!!!!!! :shock:

Wings and Paddler ... DON'T MIX... :lol:

8. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Hey, I think that I can read the numbers on the leg band! Nice shots.
    My very best
    Jerry S

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks for pointing out that missing wingtip, Sandi

'cause I wouldn't have noticed it had you not mentioned it! ;) Great captures!

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Great captures Sandi. You need to come down to the Merritt shoot with us. There are so many fantastic birds down there that you'd go nuts!! :lol:

11. These are really cool shots. Pardon my ignorance but what type of birds are these? They kinda look like a tern or a skimmer or something.

12. Thanks all, it was lots of fun and I'll be checking this floating procreation station during the season. It's an anchored platform in the middle of a huge 'pond' in the Toronto Islands. I saved a few chicks last year who'd fallen into the water.. they seemed ever so grateful.
    Frank, I'm seriously considering throwing the kayak on top of the truck and doing the trip. Have to see how biz goes. I only work about 10-12 hrs per wk but when the clients call, you just HAVE to listen! Real estate is going crazy here but let me see what I can do.

13. Thanks Kevin, yes they're a type of tern and as soon as my Nature Nut buddy comes back from his trip to Algonquin, I'll find out what kind. They were making such a racket while fighting for territory on the breeding platform. Fun to watch the hierarchy of birds.

By the way, Kevin, as far as your signature, I've stopped contemplating MY body!! *LMAO*

14. Hardy, har, har..... I guess me too: it is what it is! :wink:

How do you like your S3? (Maybe I should email you so as not to hijack your thread with questions.) I'd like to ask you some questions about it though when/if you have some time. LMK

15. Wow, that first pose is awesome! Great shots!

Regards,
    -Vinod

16. very nice indeed!

17. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    very nice indeed. Gutsy also carrying that much gear on the water. Good job.

18. Janet, my guess is that these are Common Terns, Red-Bill with Black tip and Red Legs. Adult Breeding. At least is LOOKS like the one in Sibley's :lol: .

Now, to the "wings cut off", I don't find that offensive or annoying at all. In fact I often find that it helps to focus the image, and my eyes, onto the head/body of the bird. I would also suggest that you either need a 60-200mm lens or you need to hone your "paddle-zoom" skills. On land this would be "sneaker-zoom", you know, that stuff we used to do when we only had primes :?: :?: :?: :?:

Nice captures, pretty birds, and for some strange reason I don't find lenses like the 70-200 all that "heavy" :wink:

19. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

Ok, where in T.O are you taking these shots? You've taken some amazing birds shots and this location seems pretty unique :)

20. My problem was that I had the 70-200VR with the TC14 converter so sometimes the shots were just tooooo close. With that many birds zipping there was no time to adjust the zoom, just try to aim and grab one. Trying to aim and keep the kayak afloat without tipping is tricky.
    These shots were taken in the Toronto Islands, down near the lighthouse. There's a floating platform and I regularly visit it throughout the season. The other birds have told the terns that they can have this spot, and this spot only!
    Another great birding spot is the end of the Leslie Street Spit, there are lots of gulls and terns nesting out there. Cormorants have taken over the northern shore of the tip but the terns and gulls are plentiful on the southern side. If anyone needs maps to these places, just holler and I'll send you one.
    By the way, Retief, after a day of paddling, the arms start getting a little "linguine like" and holding the lens overhead while the blood drains out of your arms gets to be an endurance contest! *LOL*
    Thanks for looking, and hope you've enjoyed.