And the wind owls for me...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by PJohnP, Apr 13, 2005.

1. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    I've been running around with business a fair bit of late, and haven't been posting photographs as a result. But at sunset today, in-between a day of work and a night of e-mail and reports, I wandered past an old haunt of mine, where I espied a friend of long standing.

A slow walk over ensued, so that I might not startle him, and then he stood calmly as I shot a series from a few long strides of distance away.

[​IMG]
    D100, 200-400mm AFS/VR with TC14EII (net 550mm), f/9, 1/160s, ISO200, cropped about 25% (upper left side), processed in NC

Burrowing Owl, Odessa, TX

Weighed down with work ? Ah, well. There's a good answer to that. Always shoot.

John P.

2. cool shot John, nicely done and a great find ;^ )
    . always leave the crowd wanting more!

Keith

3. So glad to see he was co-operative - looks like you've got a friend there. The TC14EII is certainly living up to its reputation as being very sharp, that's for sure! Good capture!
    Cheers, Sandi

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    John,

As you say, long time, no posts. :? OTOH, a few shots like this one more than trump a few dozen routine quacker and honker shots.... 8)

Great capture. Glad that you are back in the game. ;-)

Frank

5. Burrowing owls are such cute little guys. Nice image John.

6. Holy, Moly, Batman :!:, gorgeous.

A "few long strides" you say? What would you estimate then, 15 feet or so? I know these are fairly small, right? I am ecstatic when I can measure distance in double-digit-yards up here. This is plain awesome.

When I first noticed the image the coloration bugged me, until I saw the explanation, and then it was obvious, and looked very good. Reminded me of a workshop with Ron Reznick where we photographed some Snowy Owls, and no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get mine to look the right color, white, it had this "green tint". When I asked Ron he said "Where was the bird", I said "Under those green, leafy branches.....oops" :oops: . It is amazing what the different quality of light during the day can do, isn't it? And you caught it here in a very complimentary way.

By the way, did you provide the Owl with dinner or something for being such a nice subject? Perhaps at least Union Scale :?: :?:

7. Although I'm not normally an animal shooter - that's a really nice shot !

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

9. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005

Keith :

Chuckle. I'll try and post another one or two tonight.

John P.

10. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Frank :

I've been shooting, just not posting because I've had limited time to do so. If I can get a moment or two, I'll get some other material up in the next day or so. If I had enough time, I could post to almost every category here in the Cafe, but I'm off to work in a moment or two.

John P.

11. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Heh.

Maybe eight to ten feet away. It's a matter of approaching in a "stepped" manner where I make a couple of steps, stop for a minute or two, and then make another movement.

Yup, the light was getting extremely coloured - the sun was just about to disappear.

Last year, when I shot a family of five young owlettes, I brought ground beef that I rolled into small pellets for the young ones because I was scaring away prey. Maybe I'll bring this one some meat today.

Glad you liked the shot. Thanks for the kind words.

John P.