And you thought gas prices in your part of the U.S. were high....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PB_James, Aug 4, 2008.

1. ...welcome to Redcrest, California!

[​IMG]

2. HOLY CRAP!!!!!doesnt that qualify as price gouging? I doubt he sells enough gas for that price to be even close to what he really paid for his last shipment.

3. BrendaC

BrendaC

Sep 24, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Is that for real?

4. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
    what about Europe

Hi,

Interesting thread this one is!

Energy prices are increasing all over the world, that's unfortunately a nowadays phenomenon:frown:
    So, it might be interesting for you guys to know what we as europeans pay these days at the gas station.
    First of all, we don't count in gallon but in liter: One liter is 0.264 gallon.

For one liter of diesel we pay 1.3 euro or 2.02 USD
    For one liter of petrol we pay 1.5 euro or 2.33 USD

In Germany for example these prices are even higher but they claim that their fuel is of a higher quality because of certain additives which improve the performance of your engine and so you can do more miles to the gallon (to speak in US terms:smile:) 

I drive a diesel car (1.9 TDI VW Passat) and I do 1.6 gallons/62,5 miles or 6liters/100 kilometers which is good :biggrin:

Kind Regards

Johan

5. so glad I don't live there

6. SteveC

SteveC

Jun 13, 2008
    UK
    In the UK we pay _at least_ £1.099 per litre - that works out at about $8.30/US Gallon. The national average price is about $8.70/gallon.

For what it's worth, there is one station out there somewhere selling diesel at over $11 per gallon - your gas stations would have to buy new display boards to cope with the extra digit!

Incidentally - worth noting the average cost of unleaded petrol is currently split this way: 58.7% - government tax, 8.8% profit and 32.5% cost of product.

7. Nah! They'd sell it by the half gallon and we'd all think we were getting such a deal! :biggrin:

8. It's very much real. I just posted because I found the combination of the price and the "brand" amusing. The place isn't that remote, only about a 40min drive from Eureka where gas was $4.29. I know far more remote places where the "premium" you pay is only about $1-$1.50 over a normal CA city.

9. Gas price has been dropping around here.

10. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    3.55 at sam's club yesterday (city wide average is 3.66 according to the news 3 minutes ago)

11. Well I find one thing very odd in your pricing there, You diesel is still cheaper than the petrol, in the US Diesel is 20% more than petrol. Yes your fuel is high, very high, but the overall increase seems to be less than the US's price run up. i was in France and Belgium in 06, and it seems diesel was .95 to 1.10. E, depending if I bought fuel while on the motor ways. Regardless, it is all expensive, but as I have posted before, people of Europe do get a lot in return for these high fuel cost, with medical coverage being a large benefit.

12. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
    Diesel has always been cheaper, but i'm afraid I only agree partly.
    We have a good medical coverage that's true but we pay each month and year special taxes for that as well. What our goverment is doing nowadays isn't very clear but the income they get from those high gas prices is nothing less than incredible. They are just raising prices and they are raising through the roof even a silly pack of butter in the mall is ... expensive. Therefore more and more Belgians are buying stuff in Holland and Germany. Those countries have another tax system. Where we have 21% they have 6 till 9.
    When you are driving a diesel car you have to pay an extra tax, it's an environmental tax because diesel cars damage the environment more than petrol engine cars. IMO that is a very silly tax, because by paying that tax our environment doesn't get any better at all. Before they came with this tax they motivated people to start buying diesel cars because they consume less so they are better for the environment ...:mad: :Curved: But that's how our Belgian gorverment handles. They admited that themselves, there was a big interview dedicated to this fact in the newspapers.

Kind regards

Johan

13. Have you ever been to Ridgecrest. If you were out of gas in Ridgecrest, you'd gladly pay that to get out. :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.