And your point is ?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by PJohnP, Nov 22, 2005.

1. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Here a couple of shots, just for fun, from my recent time at the CAF in Midland, Texas. One's a common bird, but the other is one of only two surviving flight capable examples of the type. I'm sure Patrick will be able to ID both without effort.

Both photos shot with the D100 with 12-24mm AFS and CP combination, the second one taken from two photos stitched together using PanaVue ImageAssembler. The first shot is, excepting some basic NC processing and resizing/addition of the copyright in PS-CS, uncropped and "out-of-the-camera". The first shot, BTW, isn't OOF on the closest element due to a failure to hit it with the right aperture - it was inside the minimum focal distance of the lens ! I would post a larger size for the first where the detail is better, but then it loses the "all-on-the-screen" aspect.

[​IMG]

The second shot has been as corrected as possible for the 12mm case, but there's some amount of distortion still visible. Hard noon sunlight in west Texas for both photos, so the polariser was a given for these. Given the stitching for the second shot along with corrections for distortion, it's not "out-of-the-camera". :rolleyes: Capturing the wingspan along with the body of the aircraft at a favourable angle posed a challenge or three, but then I love challenges.

[​IMG]

Always shoot.

John P.

2. Lemme try:
    1st one: F-14 Tomcat (helluvan angle!!)
    2nd one: AVRO Shackleton

3. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    John,

The second one appears to be a "Shackleton", which is a nice capture. The first, i'm still thinking about. The canopy is a clue but I'm not placing it because of the interesting angle.

A hint please..

4. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I'm going to have to agree with Frits, its a Tomcat.

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Patrick and Frits :

Good eyes !

Here's a failed shot from another angle. If you look closely, you can see the designation as an F14A. This one was assigned to the USS Nimitz.

[​IMG]
    D100, 12-24mm AFS, processed in NC, copyright and resize in PS-CS, uncropped

You should have flown out to join me, Patrick ! Maybe we'll set up a shoot someday in Dayton or Tucson at one of the museums, eh ?

John P.

6. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Frits :

Thanks. I was trying to capture something other than the usual line of sight on this bird. My lens was maybe three inches from the front subject when I shot !

Right on. Only two left flying in the world. I would have loved to have been there for the airshow and seen those immense counter-rotating propellers start up...

John P.

P.S. Sorry for the delay in response, but I had some alderwood smoked salmon, steamed brocolli with crushed garlic, cous-cous, and a delightful Oregon pinot gris consuming my attention for dinner tonight. Or was I consuming them ? Hmmm...

7. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Wright Paterson in Dayton is one of the best museums in the country. For military aircraft it beats Smithsonian in my opinion. Plus, they have the Valkyrie!

Regards,

8. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Patrick :

About thirteen or fourteen years back, I was working in central Ohio on a project for many months. Whenever I could get done early on a Friday, I'd stop by Wright Patterson and wander around in wonder before I'd fly home out of Dayton.

But Tucson's Pima Air Museum is not chopped liver, either !

John P.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2005
  9. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    And here's another angle on the Tomcat for Patrick and Frits...

[​IMG]

To get the tailhook and underside in any kind of reasonable exposure, I had to blow the vertical tail fins completely. Oh, well...

John P.

10. John,
    Yeah, I guess it means I'm getting old to still recognize the Shackleton (I did not know there were ANY left, let alone flying!) and just (barely) young enough to remember its name:biggrin: :biggrin:
    For the F-14 shot one needed to look real close - good test!

The shot at another angle: NICE!

As for the delay in response: After consuming all of that (especially the Pinot), I would not have gotten back the same DAY...:tongue: :tongue:

11. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Frits:

Thanks.

There is another flightworthy Shackleton (I believe) down in South Africa. After the ones in Midland and SA, all of the rest are stationary unflying birds. :Bohoo:

As for the wine, I only had a couple of glasses, not the entire bottle with dinner ! Today is, after all, a workday for me. :Angel: :rolleyes:

John P.