1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Andromeda

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by cdnpilot, Jan 13, 2019.

1. M31 aka the Andromeda Galaxy is 2.5 million light years from earth, and is the nearest galaxy to our own Milky Way. Recent observations have shown that M31 has over 1 trillion stars - our own Milky Way has 200-400 billion. It spans 220,000 light years across. SPOILER ALERT! M31 is expected to collide with our own galaxy in ~4.5 billion years - which may spell the end for the earth. The small galaxy just above M31 is M110 - a dwarf elliptical galaxy. This is a compilation of 106 x 75 second photos - or just over 2 hours. This was taken with my D500, 70-200 and TCE14.

p2157210346-3.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    So impressive and interesting! What is the blue object along the bottom edge?

3. Amazing photo. I had no idea you could do this with that kind of equipment, I saw the photo and assumed you had access to a big telescope.

4. Startling and beautiful work! I'm thinking that you must have an equatorial mount? If so, which one?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  5. Thanks! That is just a star - Nu Amdromedae

Thank's Louis!

Thanks! Actually there are a lot of targets that a large telescope has too narrow a FOV.

Ah, thanks!

Thanks so much! I don not own an equatorial mount, but have a Meade LX200 8" SCT telescope. It is actually a fork mounted scope, that is mounted on a wedge for polar alignment. The camera was mounted on top of the Meade, which was doing the tracking.

6. UPDATE: I neglected to mention, the little 'fuzz ball' about 5:30 on Andromeda is actually M32, a small dwarf galaxy.

7. Thanks Glenn!

8. asaya

asaya Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Tony Saya
    Very nice work I would never have believed a photograph like this could be taken with a DSLR

9. Thanks! Nikon DSLRs with the IR filter tend to filter out reds - so for some targets that presents a problem. It is possible to modify the camera to pull the IR filter out - which I did with an old D300 - but I like the D500 results better. I would do that with this D500 but I still use the camera for my photo business. So, I just look for targets where red is not dominant.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.