andy irons' perfect run at the pipeline

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by fks, Dec 30, 2005.

1. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    one more montage from the rip curl pro pipeline masters. this is the tail end of andy irons' perfect 10 ride.

D2H, nikon 300mm f/4 AF + Kenko 1.4TC
    [​IMG]

ricky

2. WOW Very cool great set of shots got to love 8 fps. That is the second time I said that tonight

3. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Wow, what Mike said times 2!

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I have one question regarding this awesome image, how does a nice Italian guy from the midwest with mediocre talent create one of these masterpieces? I have seen these before only to become overly jealous because I want to create one but have no clue where to start!

5. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

First of all my friend, you have more than mediocre talent. Don't sell yourself short on the talent part.
    Now to do something like that does take talent and in Photoshop. Take a class. I wish I had the time to take one.

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Ah, thanks Dave! What a great technique for us sports shooters. Can you imagine how cool the results could be using your burst of a hockey player loading up for a slap shot? The wind up and BAM...the shot on goal...WOW!!! What is that technique called? Montage? Would pay good money to learn how to do that technique correctly.

7. Totaly amazing shot, errr shots. You gotta love the D2H.

8. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Thats a cool series, bet the guy would love that for a wall hanger!!

9. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi mike, dave, frank, gordon and chaz-

thanks for the kind words. the D2H is still a sweet camera. i've had a little bit of time to play with my D200, and the AF is a bit of a letdown compared to the D2H, but that's to be expected. it'll be another year before i'll be able to try the D200 in the same situation though, wish it could be sooner!

ricky

10. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi frank-

i'm not an expert, but i can tell you what i did to create this shot. everything was done using PSCS.

1. assemble the photos in the rough layout using the photomontage option.
    2. erase the areas that you want to show through one layer at a time.
    3. adjust levels on all the other images to match one image (the second one in this case) as the exposure values differ in the shots.
    4. create a layer mask on each image except the last one, and do a fade to blend the images together.
    5. flatten and do the usual contrast, sharpening. etc.

this is usually easier to do if the camera is fixed and the subject moves acress the field of view, or if you have a background for reference. with this series, i was tracking the subject, there's no background that can be used to assemble the photos, and the wave is actually moving across the screen. what i did was just put the images where they looked good and hoped for the best :)

hope this all helps.

ricky

11. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the brief summary on how to create the montage, Ricky. I am so impressed with your results, I plan to set up for something similar and practice with it. Would love to have a montage hanging on my wall someday. Thanks for taking the time to help me.