Critique Angel Oak tree... 400 to 1,400 years old

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
The Angel Oak Tree is a Southern live oak (Quercus virginiana) located in Angel Oak Park on Johns Island near Charleston, South Carolina. The Angel Oak Tree is estimated to be at least 400 and possibly up to 1400 years old. It stands 66.5 ft (20 m) tall, measures 28 ft (8.5 m) in circumference, and produces shade that covers 17,200 square feet (1,600 m2). Its longest branch distance is 187 ft. in length. The oak derives its name from the estate of Justis and Martha Angel.

BTW - they do not allow tripods! Go figure! Must be protecting some favored photographers??? So I used ISOs between 1,100 and 1,600 to keep up the shutter speed for hand holding. And they encircle the tree with signs so I removed the signs.

SCALE ???? Look closely at #3....lower left corner!

Color images in this thread....

KSP_0469-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

KSP_0472-L.jpg

KSP_0499-L.jpg

KSP_0474-L.jpg

KSP_0484-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Of all the images, #4 is my favorite due to the contrasts and the composition. They're all great photos, though!

An impressive tree and you captured it really well, Karen!
Interesting points of view and lovely b&w's with a certain "extra" that makes them look somewhat otherworldly.

I think it's so hard to really capture the grandeur of an old, big tree - but you did! I'm liking #2 - just a little bit closer than the first one, the awareness of it's size is even more brought home.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Of all the images, #4 is my favorite due to the contrasts and the composition. They're all great photos, though!
#4 is my fav, too!!!
Unbelievable! I'm going there tomorrow morning for a photo shoot! And, then I just see this thread.

Great shots...I'm hoping that my shots will be clear of people on a Monday morning...

Glenn
Shooting there was a lot tougher than I expected! Small world! Hope you have good light. It was rather contrasty when I was there in the late morning.
What a knarly old oak tree, wow. I like image #2 the best. What a treasure that tree is.
Thank you, Gordon! I'm so glad I found out about it as it was only about 15 minutes from where we were staying.
This may be one of the few times I really do like the IR version. Exquisitely captured Karen. Hopefully I'll look that graceful when I'm that mature :)
Thanks, Nick! Although the foliage blended in with all the clouds, I still prefer the IR images. The structure of the tree just stands out so well!
Such a great subject to photograph, #4 would be my best choice
Thanks, Fons! That's 3 for 4!
Again, great shots Karen. Love the details and for me #4 as well.
Kees, I so appreciate your comments! Well, it's now 4 for 4!
An impressive tree and you captured it really well, Karen!
Interesting points of view and lovely b&w's with a certain "extra" that makes them look somewhat otherworldly.
Appreciate the comments, Bart. I think that "extra" was added by Mother Nature! Or maybe it's the IR touch! It's so large, I had fun walking around finding various compositions!
I think it's so hard to really capture the grandeur of an old, big tree - but you did! I'm liking #2 - just a little bit closer than the first one, the awareness of it's size is even more brought home.
Thank you, Mike. I just remembered I had one image with 2 or 3 folks under the tree. Not sure I processed it. I'll have to go look. The people look really small compared to the tree! LOL!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
SCALE ?????

Look closely at #3....lower left corner! There are 3 people standing along on of the limbs.....!!!!

Here in the Miami area in the majority of the public places using a tripod means "professional." Obviously, a tripod is not allowed but you can take a professional camera with a professional lens and nobody will bother you.
I believe those are excellent b&w images and like Lyndee my favorites are No. 4 but also No. 5. The composition is very good in all of them but these two last ones are more appealing to the eye and they have the right contrast.
Hope this helps.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Howdy Karen,

WOWSER, what a stunning series of images and what a Grand old Gentleman you've captured.

Love all the details and contrasts that you've captured, hard to choose a favorite out of this group,
but have to agree, being able to see all the age and texture in #4 makes it the one my eye keeps going
back to.

Very nicely done !!!!

Karen, wow, absolutely beautiful. I have heard about the 'no tripod' rule at other places before, very strange, what's the world coming to when you can't use a tripod?
I really like these photos.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
These are finely done as well, Karen.
Thank you, John!
Here in the Miami area in the majority of the public places using a tripod means "professional." Obviously, a tripod is not allowed but you can take a professional camera with a professional lens and nobody will bother you.
I believe those are excellent b&w images and like Lyndee my favorites are No. 4 but also No. 5. The composition is very good in all of them but these two last ones are more appealing to the eye and they have the right contrast.
Hope this helps.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.
Thank you for your comments, William! They do indeed help!
Amazing tree!! Excellent IR / B&W. My favourite is first one.

Good job!
Thank you so much for commenting!
Howdy Karen,

WOWSER, what a stunning series of images and what a Grand old Gentleman you've captured.

Love all the details and contrasts that you've captured, hard to choose a favorite out of this group,
but have to agree, being able to see all the age and texture in #4 makes it the one my eye keeps going
back to.

Very nicely done !!!!
Howdy, Craig. This is the camera I had modded to IR in 2013 and this is probably only the second time I have used it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Considering the high contrast and having to hand hold, I am very happy with the results. Processing? Ah....I felt like I was re-learning how to process IR!
Karen, wow, absolutely beautiful. I have heard about the 'no tripod' rule at other places before, very strange, what's the world coming to when you can't use a tripod?
I really like these photos.
Howdy! Haven't heard from you in a while! Glad you like these!

Latest threads

Top Bottom