Critique Anhinga nest from this morning

Found a really nice nest this morning out drifting around on the boat.
I was there about an hour. Parent came by once to feed. Loud hungry brood here.
First image kind of sets the scene. It is in a pretty desolate area, but was getting good light.
Second image is of course the feeding.
I'll go back over Monday. Can't wait.
Gary
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I like the second image with the nest surrounded by moss and all of the youngsters clamoring for their turn. IMO the first shot doesn't do any more than the second to set the scene. Without including either water or sky the image doesn't really give a sense of how high it is in the tree, whether it's over a large or small body of water, etc.

Dan, good point. 200mm was as wide as I could go without changing lenses. I liked the idea of a wall of trees and moss, which to me implied a vastness to their habitat. But, I tend to overthink things. I was also there and know what it actually looked like- so I appreciate how others will look at this. I will go wider at least for an environment shot next time. Thanks again.
The nest is not easy to get to, but once there is pretty much out in the open- as you can see. Usually these guys are back in the thickets, so I will enjoy this opportunity.
Gary

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom