Animal ID help

Spotted this little guy in my backyard yesterday, I've never seen something like this before. At first I thought it was a squirrel, but no, and I don't think it's any sort of chipmonk either. The closest I can come in ID'ing it is to call it a Mountain Beaver. The tail is very long, longer than the body and flat but it's still hair. Anyway, I'm puzzled.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Louie

Shot on film late one evening many years ago:

Southern Flying Squirrel with a very white face because he had just been discovered inside a packet of Cake Flour; taken outside and dumped unceremoniously with all the flour on top of him.

They are most active at dusk and they can glide over very long distances from the tops of trees (rather than fly). They get into houses through the smallest gap in the eaves so keeping them out of the house, if they live in your area, is a problem.

But they are so endearing that it is hard to get cross when they cause havoc.

Flying-Squirrel_11.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Eas

Last edited:
My apologies to Louis if I have offended him (which I doubt?) but I thought my story, and the flour-covered squirrel, would amuse people.

If my "peers think otherwise", I am disappointed that they apparently have no sense of humour.

However, I think that it is for Louis to complain if I have upset him; and not for self-appointed policemen to speak for him.

Real Name
Chris
My apologies to Louis if I have offended him (which I doubt?) but I thought my story, and the flour-covered squirrel, would amuse people.
Flying squirrels and confectionary mishaps have been done before, and I've got to admit, I thought it was funny!
Wilkipedia: Jet_Fuel_Formula (1959) and
The Second Episode

I believe Nick was referring to posting a picture in someone else's thread without invitation. That's considered being pushy here. It's more polite to post a link to your picture.

Sometimes folks will invite photographic replies. If they use the {share} label, or explicitly ask for photos, then it's ok. Otherwise ask, or better yet just link your own photos.

Last edited:
I thought Ann's picture was a useful way to answer the original question, supporting the fact that the animal is of the species people suggested.
Isn't it ironic to get offended by someone posting a picture as an answer on a photography forum?

I was extremely interested to learn about Australia's marsupial Feathered Gliders which I had never heard about before.

Ours are Squirrels (rodents) but the gliding mechanics are similar: with a fold of skin between their front and back limbs which stretches open when they glide.

Obviously these animals were the inspiration for the Squirrel Suits which are used by free-base jumpers.

I had thought that that sport looked like being enormous fun — until one of the most expert among them lost his life when he crashed into a mountain.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom