1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Animals of Yellowstone Park

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Louis Champan, Aug 10, 2008.

1. My wife and I have spent the last 10 days out on our annual motorcycle trip. This year's trip took out to Cody, Wyoming, Jackson Hole, Yellowstone and all the roads in between. Great 10 days. With two motorcycles, four saddle bags and two large through over bags, that was just to carry my wife's things, but I did manage to carry along one camera with a 24-70mm and a 300mm. Took lots of landscape shots, no birds shots but did manage to get a few animals.
    Had only one close encounter with a buffalo, it came nose to nose with me on my bike, I didn't know exactly what to do, so I stayed put on my bike hoping it wouldn't mistake me for a fellow buffalo.
    Well, here's a few of the animals shots I got. Couldn't carry a tripod so all are handheld.

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    70mm    f/8.0    1/320s    ISO 320

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    70mm    f/8.0    1/500s    ISO 320

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    300mm    f/6.3    1/500s    ISO 320

original.

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    58mm    f/13.0    1/320s    ISO 320

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    70mm    f/13.0    1/320s    ISO 320

Louie

2. InLimbo87

InLimbo87

Jul 30, 2008
    Orlando, Fl
    Great pics!! Made me wish I was there !

3. gillesk

gillesk

Dec 31, 2007
    Alberta -Canada
    Hi Louis,
    Wow! Excellent work and gorgeous series.
    Very well done.
    Nice to see these large antler elk in velvet but the calves are also great. Love that 3rd photos.
    The bisons are wonderful captures.
    Looks like you had some great weather.
    Best regards.
    Gilles

4. Nice shots! Is that a baby elk? Amazing rack on that bull elk!

5. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Nice captures, Louis. Looks like you had a great time in a great place.

6. Thanks for taking a look. YS, is such a wonderful place just wish I had had more time and more eq. with me.

Thanks for your comments, and yes a baby elk. It was really interesting to watch as its mother was watching it and us at the same time.

Thanks Gilles. Under the circumstances these will do, but sure wish I had had some different eq with me and more time.

7. Sweet shots I think the Calf is priceless, just the right pose and sharp as a tack!

8. Louis: Great captures once again. I agree with Andreas, that calf shot is amazing. Well done and I am glad you are back in one piece.

9. Nice shots-enjoyed them a lot.. Looks like a great trip.

10. Thanks for commenting.

Thanks Andreas, it was quite a sight to see that young calf in the water and all the time its mama is calling to it from the bank.

Thanks Jim, I'm glad I'm back all in one piece as well. It was fun, got lots of landscape shots and generally had a great time.

Thanks Dave, it was a super great trip. This is a trip we make every year out for 10 days visiting the countryside.

11. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    Louie, The first elkling :redface: (sorry, the proper term escapes me at the moment) shot is terrific.

12. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    reminds me of the bison back home (ND)

13. Thanks for commenting I appreciate it. Elkling, I like that.

Thanks for taking a look.

14. KissTheMoon

KissTheMoon

Jun 10, 2008
    Merry Land
    amazing! great pictures...i think the first one is my favourite.

15. Wonderful shots Louie. Two of my 13 grandkids live in Boseman and I did go to Yellowstone but not with decent gear. Time to turn in the points on my Visa card.

Inspiring stuff.

16. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    Amazing shots, at at only 70mm! What a special place where you can get that close to the wildlife. I bet it was scary (and exciting!) to be nose to headlight with the bison too.

17. Wow Louis - great shots all !!

I especially like the first shot of the elk calf - super sharp, and just a great shot - perfect. I was out there in early May . . . . lot's of new baby animals, but no racks on the elk or deer that that time of year. You did a great job on these.

18. Thanks for taking a look and commenting.

Thanks, I really appreciate you taking the time to comment as you have. Montana/Yellowstone are certainly areas to visit.

Thanks John. You're right it was both especially being right there with little between you and them.

Thanks, I appreciate your comments.

19. awesome series
    just beautiful

20. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Great shots Louie! We went out in June - took 89GB of photos. The elk did not have the racks grown out yet - nice shots.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.