1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Animals of Yellowstone Park

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Louis Champan, Aug 11, 2009.

1. I just got back from a 10 motorcycle trip that took us out through Wyoming and western Montana. Spent two days in Yellowstone of which one day we got poured on, but still managed a few shots up in the Lamar Valley portion of the park.
    Trying to carry everything you'd like to in the way of camera eq on a motorcycle is tuff to say the least, but here's a few of the shots I got while there.
    There's a story behind each of these shots, but it would take to long, so I'll just say some folks have no respect for the animal or certainly other people. This mother bear and her two cubs were literally chased by a few (idots, in my mind) so wasn't able to get any real decent shots.

original.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.gif

View attachment 392188

View attachment 392189

original.jpg

original.jpg

Louie

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2009
  2. Great shots! Love the last one of the prairie dog.

3. Lovely shots!

4. Jackoc

Jackoc Guest

Cool shots especially of the black bears, wish mine were as good as yours two weeks ago when I was in GNP.

5. Sorry we rained on you - it's been the wettest, coolest summer in a loooooong time. Nary a weekend goes by where you don't see some yahoo harassing the wildlife (and they usually park their rv in the middle of the road to do it, too).

Sean

6. Thanks Sean, Yellowstone is one of my favorite places. However I agree, RV's and cars will stop in the middle of the road without warning with total disregard for anyone or thing around them.

7. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Love the third shot of the bear! And the last 2 are also wonderful! Yellowstone is one of my all-time favorite places! Would love to do a motorcyle trip there - when the crowds are gone!

8. Louie:

Great shots. You must have been pretty close to the bear. Couldn't you tell the coyotee to turn towards the camera? LOL. Glad you saw the pronghorns as well. Makes me want to pack up and go back to Yellowstone, but I would wait until the fall when the crowds are smaller. Love that place for sure. Well done and good to have you home.

9. Thanks everyone, we had a great trip and the scenery and animals were all great.

10. Love the Prairie Dog and the bears! Too bad the coyote was camera shy, but great action shot anyway!

11. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Nice job!

12. NYracefan

NYracefan

Nov 19, 2008
    Highland,NY
    What is the best time of the year to go to Yellowstone, with photographing animals in mind? I am talking about the best time with the least crowd, and the most animals.

13. Great shots Louie. Glad you had a good and safe trip.

14. In Sept/Oct you get the big bulls rutting, and throughout the winter they're down in the valleys as opposed to the higher country. Only the road through Mammoth and the Lamar Valley is open to vehicles in winter; otherwise you're taking a snowmobile or snowcoach in to the southern part of the park, but the Lamar Valley is prime territory for bison, elk and wolves.

June, July and August are all awful from a tourist perspective - the roads are crowded and people drive very poorly. I've locked up the brakes twice this year to keep from getting hit head-on by gawking drivers.

Sean

15. That's an awesome assortment you got there! I liked the fox/coyote shots.

16. Thank you everyone for your comments. It was truly a great trip that I look forward to again next year.

17. Really nice I sure wish O could get to see and shoot Pronghorns!

18. Yellowstone is a wonderful place... when it's not jammed pack with people! Looks like you saw some great variety.

Come on back down to the Bosque, Andreas, and we will go find you some pronghorns.

19. BlueMerle

BlueMerle

Feb 17, 2007
    Fort Worth
    Great shots, and I agree with you about the idiots!

20. Guest-004

Guest-004 Guest

Mar 11, 2008
    SE Pennsylvania
    Nice images. I like the prairie dog in particular.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.