Animal's on Velvia

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by NikonConvert, Jun 7, 2007.

1. NikonConvert

NikonConvert

Jul 13, 2005
    Amsterdam
    Another trip to Artis zoo but this time with film =). When using digital I easily filled all my memory card at this place (1000+ shots) so I knew I would have to be really careful with only 2 rolls of film. Here are some scans from the first roll I scanned last night (Links to larger versions of these images can be found under each image):

533619124_c9762c99d6.
    click HERE to see the large version.

View attachment 99388
    Click HERE to see the large version.

View attachment 99389

533686112_e8c70acb88.

All the above shots were taken with a Nikon F100 and a Nikon 80-200mm F:2.8 D lens. With Fuji Velvia 100F and scanned on an Epson V700 in 16bit HDR mode. Then some minor levels, sharpening, cropping and a border effect has been applied.

2. Good series, I love that muskrat shot - one trying to squeeze into the lineup. :smile:

3. NikonConvert

NikonConvert

Jul 13, 2005
    Amsterdam
    Thanks Sandi =). It was really fun taking these and I have to scan the rest tonight so watch this space.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice images
    I like the last one alot:>))))

5. gavin

gavin

Oct 21, 2006
    The last one is great. They look like paid models posing for you.

6. matthew.paul

matthew.paul Guest

Fantastic! The colors are superb and your timing is great! Certainly not your everyday boring zoo shots!

7. Nils

Nils

Mar 30, 2007
    Aptos, California
    mmm... velvia.

8. NikonConvert

NikonConvert

Jul 13, 2005
    Amsterdam
    Thanks all for the awesome feedback =). If you can take seeing the more boring (static) shots from Roll 2 I would appreciate any feedback you may have.

535013631_6dfcf390e0.
    See the Above image in Medium or Large sizes.

View attachment 99392

View attachment 99393

View attachment 99394

All shots were taken with the same equipment and film type as the first roll (initial post). The second image is my first decent example of film DoF being vastly different from digital. Such a strange pattern compared to what I'm used to but lovely =)

9. WHOA! THe power of film! I've still to see such depth in color and tones from a DSLR! Incredible images and masterly scanned!

Of course, they are only web size images, but Velvia is Velvia, no matter what, so I'm sure these images look even better in person!

10. NikonConvert

NikonConvert

Jul 13, 2005
    Amsterdam
    Thanks very much Ned =). The saturation, sharpness and contrast on the raw slides does look amazing!! I am not unhappy with the scans but I will keep trying to replicated the amazing punch you get from looking at the velvia directly.

I know what you mean about the digital vs film look. I have only just changed over to film very recently and I am enjoying the feel of the film look. Below you can see a digital capture from my previous trip for comparison (this does have some manipulation applied, click here to see what).

You can see larger versions of this image (and all others I've posted) from links under each image, or did you realize this already?

417749602_b3aca4ef06.
    See the above image in Medium or Large sizes.