1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Anna...

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by Seneca, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    A couple to share...square images...not sure if I like square yet. :confused:  Treatment on first two...not sure if I like the soft-glow...makes them look a little too soft. Originals were better...your opinion is always welcomed.

Anna2.

View attachment 238996

No treatment on #3

View attachment 238997

2. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    Seneca,
    I am not crazy about the first two myself. She looks uncomfortable, and the symmetry is off. The third is a better pic, she looks more comfortable. The lines lead you to her face in that pic. Just my feeble two cents worth.

3. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Thanks for your comments. I wasn't sure if I liked them. I thought if I put myself out there I would get more eyes to view it and get some opinions. Just trying to do different stuff.

Thanks DB.

4. I think they're nice portraits, but there seems to be a bit too much emphasis on her hands. I think they would look a little more natural if she were more relaxed and in more relaxed poses.

The PP is good for the poses...but like I said, they look more staged and "high class" than natural...which isn't a bad thing. Portraiture wise, they're great. :) 

5. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!

Thanks Stacey. I like your comment on the poses "High class"...thanks. I wanted to do something that wasn't inside the box...so I tried it and I was so/so on it after I viewed it. Anna loved them.

Don't you love when your clients tell you..."what do I do with my hands?"...well I did something with her hands. :biggrin:

6. I've had quite a few ask me that, which is funny. I always tell them to relax and be natural, or do something funky and completely out of the ordinary. Both work. heh. :smile:

So long as she likes them, that's all that matters. We as photographers, as I'm sure you know, will pick them apart until the days done...but they don't.

7. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Hi Sen,

Lovely images but No.3 is the one that works best for me.

8. Hi Sen

I'm the last to be critical because the few portraits I've done aren't even worth posting here, however the first two don't do it for me.

I think the right elbow needs to be a little lower - she looks uncomfortable. If I was the model, I'd have my right shoulder leaning against the wall (but I can be a bit of a lazy slob :) . Also the hat bothers me, it doesn't sit properly, maybe it needs to be on more of a tilt - it dominates her face.

I do like the colour of the wall in the second shot - the first shot is a little pale and distracting.

9. #2 her pose makes her face fuller,look at her right side(extra chin)
    I like what you are trying to do in them.

10. Beautiful girl, but she doesn't look comfortable in any of these. Who holds their hands like the poses in these shots? Have any more relaxed (less posed) looks? I'd love to see them.

11. She looks very uncomfortable other than that the exposure and skintones are right on

12. Sen, I had several initial thoughts on these images so here goes. The winter hat really looks out of place with the short sleeve dress and the arms up poses of the first two looks uncomfortable and out of place since there is nothing for the subject to lean on. In real life I doubt that anyone would put their arms up to lean on a wall. Again on the first two the flat lighting does not bring out the best in the lovely model. The rough texture of the wall does not go with the high class look you are trying to achieve.

I like the third image much better. You have handled the lighting and DOF well with this image and the model fits with the environment. Again, her pose seem fake and uncomfortable. She has a natural grace and beauty about her and you have captured that. A simple change of her pose and you would have a winner here. I would love to work with this model.

13. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    I should've added that she is a Drama Queen...ok what i mean by that is...she is an aspiring actress...those are her things...not mine. But I agree with most of you that the arms are funky looking. I just had to try it out. Anna loved them. But consider this...she is an actress and felt comfy doing these. I think she should be a Cover Girl model ...she has this clean look about her

Thanks for all the advice!

14. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Seneca,

I am trying to get back in the habit of posting here again. If I get out of line, feel free to slap me. :wink:

Honestly, none of them work for me. The expression, lighting, and poses seem to be saying different things. Especially the hands. They look lost and confused to me.

I am ready for that slap now.

15. Phil

Phil

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    I don't want to repeat what others have said about her arms but i do like your processing on the 2nd one. The 3rd one is a better shot, but maybe cropped a little closer. just my opinion. (Opinions will always vary, as long as your model likes it you did a GREAT job.)

16. I agree with Charles. You need to re-think the hands' positioning; they all distract from the natural beauty of the young lady...and that hat?

Yup, my teen age grand daughter does the same thing every time I point a camera at her; she cocks her head over at about 30 degrees because she thinks it looks better.

17. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    Knowing the hat and collar were the model's property and idea, I still have to join the crowd saying they don't add to her shots. I like the third shot the best but also find the hands posed looking rather than natural. I have no clue what should be done with the hands though. Probably part of why I'm still at picture taker level.

18. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    This is exactly what makes us better photographers...we have to take critiques and learn from them. Thank you all...I am truly thicked skinned and need to know these things.

Anna was a good sport...she asked "What do I do with my hands?" I asked her..."What do you want to do with them?"...she said "whatever". So that lead me to say..."Ok we will be different and we'll do some very simple things as well"...she said "Okie Dokey".

Later she was able to view them she said "I think I'd like to be a photographer..." I told her "No you need to be on the other side of the camera...you're a pretty girl".

Thanks again ya'll!

19. The first two I don't care for at all. They look too posed and the fur seems out of place with the season/wardrobe.

I think the third one is excellent except I think I'd crop out the fence post and some of the left. I find the post just a bit distracting but the solid black of the dress adds nothing to the image so I'd just get rid of it.

20. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    I think the 3rd is very nice. I do agree with Woody on the crop.

I also feel the first two images do not work. However, I am totally down with the fur. You were thinking out the box which IMO is everything. I think where you went wrong was with the "standard" poses and quite frankly the boring location. The fur may have worked if she was standing with a big ice cream cone melting down her arm, or if she were standing in a sprinkler dripping wet, or maybe standing in a fountain - some obscure concept/location to go along with the obscure wardrobe. Doing this would have by default relaxed her and probably put her in a silly mood.

To fur I say......darn RIGHT....get crazy with it!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.